One of our hens laid an incredibly large 136gram egg.

This is our first experience raising chickens. We have 15 Cuckoo Marans, they are 28 weeks old and have been laying for about 8 weeks. Today my mother in law found something totally unexpected an incredibly large egg. It weighs 136 grams!! It is so large that I am worried about the chicken’s health. Our hens have been laying med/large eggs, with the occasional large/jumbo double yoker but this one is huge. My wife asked which hen I thought laid the egg, and I said: "That is easy look for the one that's walking funny". :rolleyes: Since all of our hens are the same breed, they all look the same, and it is impossible to tell which one laid the egg. So should we be worried? Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.
It was an egg within an egg: Well they did it again, this time the egg is 140g Plan to crack it open soon. Checked all the hen's vents, and everyone seems ok..
There are two eggs here...

Was this back to back days? Very surprised you managed to get 2 of these? As the others have mentioned it takes a bit for the hens bodies to figure out the process.

No, The first 136g egg was layed (Tuesday 4/12), the second egg weighted 140g (Friday 4/15) and third egg weighed 147g (Monday 4/18).

Was this back to back days? Very surprised you managed to get 2 of these? As the others have mentioned it takes a bit for the hens bodies to figure out the process.

No, The first 136g egg was layed (Tuesday 4/12), the second egg weighted 140g (Friday 4/15) and third egg weighed 147g (Monday 4/18). 
A third? :eek: they keep getting bigger too. I didn't weigh mine unfortunately, but I measured shells. I blew some out to keep the shells. I have a whole carton of smallest eggs and largest eggs. This is it: the big eggs don't even fit in this jumbo box!

Back
Top Bottom