One of these eggs is not like the other...

ThisishowIroll

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 13, 2014
Richland, WA
I just started washing my eggs and putting them in the fridge instead of keeping them at room temp. I was under the impression I only had one (Ruby the RIR) of my three hens laying as eggs have all been the same color and in the same nesting box. I witnessed her egg song and first egg around Christmas time, so I knew it was her. However, when washing eggs this week I noticed this:

Clearly one is quite speckled, but the same under color. When the eggs dried, however, they all look the same. The other two possible culprits (ha!) are:

Shirley: a bantam frizzle who is over 2 years old that I adopted but who, as far as I know, hadn't laid since I got her. I find it concerning/impressive that a 2#ish bird could produce a 2 oz egg.

Martha: a EE who I've never seen in that nesting box and who has just now started submissive squatting.

Is it possible for Ruby to be producing randomly spotted eggs? Is Shirley a tiny super chicken producing eggs much larger than one would think possible? Is Martha a covert layer? Am I overthinking this? Yes, yes I am.

Hmmm....
I get speckled eggs from flock which is mostly RIRs. It is possible that the egg is Ruby's.

I'm thinking it could be... The lady I sdopted Shirley from responded and said she used to lay cream to vey light tan eggs, so that rules her out. The speckles don't wash off, honestly I kind of like them! I'd just be a bit sad if it was Martha because I was really hoping for green or blue out of her. Her pea comb has just turned red and started to fill out so I know she's close!

Back
Top Bottom