One small chick

MrsWagley

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 30, 2014
Hi again. I got my first group of chicks in about two weeks ago. They seem to be doing great, however even though they are all the same age one is noticeably smaller than the others, all have a really decent amount of tail feathers except my little runt who has barley sprouted any. I noticed she is also very timid, stays away from the five others most of the time and tends to get run over. She is eating and drinking as I have observed her but seems to lay around more than the rest. Is this something I should be worried about? Should I separate her from the others? She is also the only one that doesn't struggle and flap her wings when I pick her up. I'm hoping it's just a personality difference.

This is her and the other golden buff for comparison

I am trying to nurse my chick back to health with a weird skin problem on her feet. She too started out a lot smaller than her 2 siblings. Same thing with the tail feathers. She was born July 5 th, still really doesn't have em. I would worry about her getting picked on but other than that just make sure she is getting a little vitamin boost. I hear the B vitamins are good.

Ok thanks. I gave her some ground up boiled egg yesterday. I separated her to eat it but she ate a little then started chirping loudly and didn't stop till I put the others chicks in with her to share, then she actually did pretty good holding her own with that. Is there a special vitamin I have to get for chicks?

There are a couple different ones but I didn't have any luck finding them.
Sav a chick
Nutridrench vitamins.
Just follow the directions
I don't know if we will end up having to cull this one or not. If her feet won't heal, we won't have a choice.
I'll post a pic.

I started out with three Buffs last year. Two were noticibly larger than the third. She did fine, though. She learned to behave like a chicken, peck when she needed to and run when she needed to. Today, she is pretty good at staying away from predators and gets along well with her flock mates. I think your chick will be fine!

Back
Top Bottom