One's hatched!!! question??

claraserena

Songster
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
I just watched a chicked emerge from its egg--the egg was right next to the mom and she kind of pecked it and now the little guy is out and chirping like crazy--he's just partly covered by her--looks a bit weary but fine. but will he be cold--it's about 70 degrees (indoors)--will she do do something to keep him warm? She kind of pecks at him from time to time. Should I put a heat lamp on?
Oh this is awesome!

In my experience, you should be fine. The mother will hover over the chicks to keep them warm, if they need it. She will kinda peck at them at first, but should stop that eventually. Good luck, have fun.

THANK YOU! The mom has pushed the chick under her. Other eggs are pipping. So far so good!

wee.gif

How exciting!
I'm sure Momma knows what to do. Just keep an eye on them... but it sounds like so far so good. Post some pictures and keep us updated!

I just looked under her and the first one that hatched appears to be dead. Another is lying curled up with the shell barely around it but is alive. Other eggs are pipping. I think the mom must have accidenally suffocated the one. She is just laying full on them. I don't know what to do.

I am by not means an expert, but my chicks when hatching under mama can't be seen. She had them covered. You never know sometimes they know things that we don't about the chicks or eggs and the reject them at the end. Watch closely but don't interfer and if she seem to peck the others, then take them as they hatch an brood them in the house. I have never seen a chick hatch that a mama has incubated, so I really don't know what to tell you. I just go out in the morning and I see these cute little faces peeking at me from under a very vocal mama. Its a site that just warms you throught and through. I am sorry you are having this problem.

Back
Top Bottom