Ongoing Review of Safeco incubator

Justso

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 30, 2015
Chicagoland DuPage Co
My Coop
My Coop
I was recently sent 15 chicken eggs a little unexpectedly, I had to hop online and quickly find an incubator. I decided on this incubator because of its size, price point, plus it had a good number of helpful reviews.
Screenshot_20210310-105617.png

This is a plastic style incubator with fan, temperature control (no humidity reading) and an egg light. It has a bar style egg turner, and reportedly holds 16 eggs. The kit also comes with a small water bottle and a water spritzer. There is a low/high temp alarm.
This and similar incubators also come with a styrofoam base that helps insulate from temperature fluctuations. After reading reviews, I saw that fluctuation can be a problem. I've decided to incubate in my basement which is quite cool, but has nearly constant temperature and humidity. To combat the coolness I use a piece of fleece as a cozy around the lid (but not covering the control panel). In addition, I've placed it inside a standard banker's box. Incubator has vent holes in the lower back portion, and an adjustable vent on the lid. I placed the fleece so it doesn't block the lower part and cut out a hole for the upper vent.
The incubator has factory settings, the temperature has kept a very tight range between 37.9 - 38.1C. Using a trusted thermometer/hygrometer, the panel readout has been very accurate. Since I'm incubating shipped eggs I decided to begin the first day and a half with no rotation to help they air sack develop. I've also added no water, and don't plan to until around day five. Humidity has held just under 20%.
The capacity of the incubator I think maybe a little overstated, however I am setting larger eggs. I had to sweat it out a little squeezing them in there, but I marked them and they are turning. I think for large/XL eggs 12 might be a better fit.
A couple of other points to mention, The owner's manual is very badly translated from Chinese. Luckily, they have good graphics though and really nothing is needed if you just use the factory settings. If you need to manually send anything I suggest taking your time to study and experiment.
Yeah great is okay, better than the flashlight I used to use, but reviews said it wasn't powerful enough for dark eggs.
I'll post more information as the incubation progresses.

Just wanted to send props to @Winter Creek Coop, who shared their experience with a similar incubator. There was some good advice in the thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...incubator-review.1448268/page-2#post-24114159

Today was day 7 candling day. I found the candler on this incubator was not robust enough for blue eggs. The light seemed to reflect back into the white plastic and glow, rather than shine through the egg. Perhaps better with white eggs. I found a cell phone did the best job. The tally is three non-starters
PXL_20210316_013206153.NIGHT.jpg

Two blood rings.
PXL_20210316_013029696.NIGHT.jpg

That leaves 10 viable
PXL_20210316_013328114.NIGHT.jpg

I've begun to raise the humidity, I added water in one of the trays and it's holding at 30%. Temperature is still staying steady.

Just wanted to send props to @Winter Creek Coop, who shared their experience with a similar incubator. There was some good advice in the thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...incubator-review.1448268/page-2#post-24114159

Today was day 7 candling day. I found the candler on this incubator was not robust enough for blue eggs. The light seemed to reflect back into the white plastic and glow, rather than shine through the egg. Perhaps better with white eggs. I found a cell phone did the best job. The tally is three non-starters View attachment 2571903

Two blood rings.
View attachment 2571904
That leaves 10 viable
View attachment 2571905

I've begun to raise the humidity, I added water in one of the trays and it's holding at 30%. Temperature is still staying steady.
Thank you. Good luck with your hatch!

Day 14 had three more questionable eggs, which I left in until day 18. D18 was Friday, I removed them since they were for sure quitters.
I had a friend over to check, she asked why I kept the incubator in the styrofoam plus a cozy. Good question, the reason being I'm sure this was made with the cheapest components and the motor would have burned out long ago. Just a reminder I keep this in the basement which is cool, but constant temp and humidity.
I've removed the turning bars and added a sponge to help keep the humidity constant over the next days. I peeked a couple times per day, humidity has held between 70-80. Temperature has remained constant.

I'll be following this thread! White house on the hill on youtube recently tested a similar incubator, although they didn't really go into a ton of detail. Their results showed that there was either an issue with their shipped eggs or an issue with the air circulating the heat unevenly. They did not take the extra measures you have taken to keep it insulated.

Hatch day!
I got up this morning and had one out already. No other pips but I can hear faint peeping.
I've lifted the incubator and styrofoam cover onto a table and removed the cozy so I can better monitor humidity. I was surprised to see the humidity was down to 60.
The incubator comes with a bottle that has a narrow nozzle. I found that I can insert the nozzle into one of the air holes and inject warm water straight into the sponge. Very handy.
PXL_20210329_140805002~2.jpg

Humidity has been hovering around 70. I had to open the lid to check water levels, which were too high and had reached the bottom of the eggs. I added some more sponge which brought it up into low 80s and removed the extra water from touching the eggs. Now baby is knocked over the hygrometer, so no more visibility through the window.

Humidity has been hovering around 70. I had to open the lid to check water levels, which were too high and had reached the bottom of the eggs. I added some more sponge which brought it up into low 80s and removed the extra water from touching the eggs. Now baby is knocked over the hygrometer, so no more visibility through the window.
Sounds like your eggs have a diligent person keeping watch! You're doing great. I am really pulling for you to have great success! My quail are hatching today and it's making me wonder how your hatch is coming along

Well I lost my phone there for a few days so no posts. The final count is four chicks, I know they don't sound like great odds but it's the best I've ever had with a shipped-eggs hatch.
I just finished emptying out the incubator and spraying it down with Lysol, I'll complete the cleaning later. The fact that it's all plastic sure makes for great cleanup. I'm sure I'm going to use this again this season and overall I'm pleased with how well everything held up.

Back
Top Bottom