Online Large Fowl Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey deb, how did the sale go?I went to the sale just to find a lady who wanted to buy some of my black javas chicksand she was there.Her friend was with her and she wants a dozen hatching eggs.I got 4 dozen black java eggs from a master breeder and i hope to hatch a bunch and keep them.

I sold everything I took, but was not happy with the prices. Sold a pair of Speckled Sussex for $26., that was as good as it got. Yet, If I wanted anything, the price was high. Go figure. I did buy two pair of Jap bantams and a trio of LF Buff Orps cheap. Sold LF Polish for $4 each, so basically sold them at a loss, not yet laying but decent sized. I did make enough to pay for the feed I bought yesterday. I went to sleep at 1 am, got up at 6. My birds were the fourth lot in. OMG, you are going to laugh, I caught the Buckeye flock last night and put them in a cage in the truck. The rooster has a distinctive crow, Roo roo root roo... anyway DH thought he heard someone saying "don't come outside" He actually got up out of bed at 4 am to see who was out there
lau.gif

So now I have two empty coops, two empty chicken tractors and two empty pens in the barn that all need to be cleaned out. A guy called me today, wants like 25 started chickens. IDK if I have that many I want to sell. I am trying to cut back, though. The feed bills are killing me and eggs are not selling well. I should just sell the whole mess. But then I wasted all that money coop and run building. And I would miss them all
Oh, I opened the bator to add water, and my Cayuga duck egg was popping its top! Quack! Duckzilla is very happy in her? new home, with a young rooster for company. When she gets all grown she can be with the big ducks at my neighbors place. My neighbors lop bunny had babies, two dead but 5 alive after the other doe had all hers die. It was awful. But at least some survived this time.

Well as you know,i sold down to almost nothing after my sergery two years ago and now i got way to many.I'm kind of out of control with chickens this year and i'm trying to raise a bunch of chickens and this fall take them to the chicken shows/sale and unload most of them there.But as you well know with feed prices maybe i'll break even.If your hobby is not much fun sell down until it is fun.Your post was funny!I did get some swedish flower hens.I wanted some real bad and always got out bided on ebay for eggs .So i got a hold of a lady on BYC and she sent me 14 chicks and i won a dozen eggs on ebay and we got 1 pair and a trio of them at a sale in OK. So i went from none to a bunch in a week.

Deb,

I bet your load feels lighter today!! I'm inpressed that you were out loading all your stock by yourself. Love it!

My suggestion is to look at what was selling well at your auction. Preferred animals/breeds are regional. Perhaps you can see a trend at the auction of preferred breeds of chickens. THe first years of any project is huge learning curve. ANd I know I"m learning a lot . . with every mistake I make!! LOL

hugs.gif

Actually, I have so many chickens it didn't seem much faster even with those gone. I usually load my own stock, even the goats. I back the truck up to the porch, lower the tail gate and lead the goats in. It gets tricky once you have several in there because they want to get out. Much easier with chickens. I once had a goat jump out through the small window in the truck cap, right through the screen! And I didn't end up getting any coops cleaned today, because we were cleaning pastures and burning brush. Some of it has been in big heaps for 6 months or more, so it was good to get rid of it.
OK, the amazing news for the day....I got chicks in the mail today!!! Sunday!!! The lady from the post office tried to call and when we didn't answer the phone, she drove to the house to tell us we could pick them up!!! How awesome is that? They were all alive but chirping really loud, and one had its eye bloodied.. I guess the other chicks pecked it. But I am sure some might have died overnight with no food or water. They drank like crazy when I got them into the brooder and showed each one where the water is.
The danged goats are jumping the fence and showed up in our neighbors back yard today. Just about the same time the mail lady showed up and right as I lit another big pile of leaves to burn. And the phone was ringing. Never a dull moment around here.

What did you get in the mail?

I have some Lavender Ameraucanas, Olive Eggers and Wheaten Ameraucanas eggs coming, maybe tomorrow... then I will have to figure out what to hatch next with them. I think I will just sell the others I set. It is hard not to put eggs in that big bator. I got 42 eggs yesterday and 40 today.... I think I need to sell some eggs.....

That is amazing about the mail lady!!You are like me i could sell a truck load of chickens and still have to many.The baby chicks are growing like crazy and i'm building as fast as i can.But it's fun to get it done and i have tons of free lumber and a huge pile to sheet metal.

I got Silver Laced Polish, Silver Laced Cochins, Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, and
ya.gif
idunno.gif
Salmon Faverolles!
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
love.gif
th.gif
clap.gif

droolin.gif
BLRW ... I am going to stick with the SLW.... for now
wink.png
I am glad you enjoyed your son's visit... wish he could have stayed longer. I know that lifted your spirits
thumbsup.gif

John(DS#2), just won a trip to Barcelona at the card tournament! He went to Japan last time. It sure was good to see him again. John is so tall, when he hugs you , he has to lean over:)
DH is talking about building a pond! There are about three places on the farm that would collect water naturally, since we have wet weather streams. A pond was one of the features we wanted but didn't have on this property. We walked down and looked at possible locations today. He is going to check into prices. I would love a pond:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom