Only 1 chick

Star2014

Songster
6 Years
Aug 15, 2014
I had more than one egg, about 14, but it very well looks as if only this one is going to make it. I'm not sure if it was my incubation that killed the other embryos or something else seeing as this baby has made it to the point where it looks as if it's trying to internally pip. That being said I'm worried about it being the only chick. Regardless it would have been alone for a day or two but now I'm thinking I'll only have it for the whole time. I have 4 BCM eggs in the incubator but can't see through to candle properly so I'm not thinking that they're going to hatch. I'd see if TSC had any chicks by chance but I was only bargaining for 2-3 chicks (to stay with me and I had homes for any others that hatched out but they were breed specific homes) so now I'm not sure what to do. We have a set of chicks but they're 7 weeks old and going outside, besides I think the heat difference would be too much.

just wait and see what hatches. You can't discount eggs just because you can't candle them right now.

What day are you on today?

just wait and see what hatches. You can't discount eggs just because you can't candle them right now.

True. Sometimes you can't see any veins when you candle the egg because it has a thicker shell. I would wait about three more days but if the chick hatches sooner than two, you might want to consider putting that chick's brooder box next to the chicken coop with your other chickens. That way, the chick will grow up near the other chickens until he or she is ready to be put in the coop with them. If they free range, you could maybe put the brooder box near where the chickens usually like to hang out. I hope this helps and good luck!

Day 19 for the one that looks ready to pip and day 12 for the others. I haven't ruled them out yet I just want a back up plan. I had 4 out of 6 bantam eggs develop but then they all died so I'm just not optimistic the BCM eggs made it. To be honest I never thought this egg would develop so I was a little surprised it did.
I second what the other comment said, but also if the baby hatches and none others do PLEASE go to a feedstore or find a person on Craigslist/Facebook and get it come company!
Sadly in this area our feedstores are no longer carrying chicks. Even if TSC is now then they the 4 chick minimum which we just can't fit. Any extras from the hatch had homes but they were breed specific that feedstores here don't carry. I'll check out Craigslist in our area and see if I can find a buddy or two for it.
Also if you have a small stuffed animal or two you could put in there for the chick once it hatches, it would enjoy the "company"!
We were planning on doing this! I'm glad I wasn't the only one, my brother thought I was insane for suggesting it lol

Sounds like you've got plenty to hope for so be positive! I've had eggs hatch with no pips or cheeping until they just pop out overnight.

Back
Top Bottom