Only 1 of my 12 eggs in my incubator have hatched so far. It's been 24 hours now. Should I be worrie

Pinkpony

Chirping
7 Years
May 30, 2012
Enumclaw, Wa
Hello everyone!
This is my first time hatching chicks in an incubator. I had a broody hen sit on 12 eggs for almost 2 weeks and then she gave up. So I decided to incubate the eggs. One hatched yesterday but the others haven't yet and it's been over 24 hours. Should I be worried? I can't see the eggs move but when I look in the incubator they are in different places. Believe they might be trying to hatch. Plus the don't stink so I think they are still alive. I wondering if maybe the egg that hatched was laid before the others? Any feedback would be helpful since I'm new at this. :)

What kind of incubator are you using? Any progress on the rest of the eggs? Have you candled eggs before? You can candle the eggs and look for internal pips or tap the air cell of the egg with your fingernail and listen to hear peeping. Candling will be your best bet right now to see what's going on inside the eggs.

I'm using a Styrofoam Still Air Incubator. I added the water and the temp humidity has stayed around where it needs to be. One hatched so I assume I had that part right.
1f60a.png

I was going to candle them but I read on a different thread that once they start to hatch opening the incubator is bad. Do think it's ok to open super fast to candle one? I only opened it really fast to take my one chick out today. She/he is doing great! Eating, drinking and peeping. I just feel bad because he/she is all alone. I put a stuffed animal in there which the little chickie really likes.
No new eggs have hatched.
1f615.png

I'm using a Styrofoam Still Air Incubator. I added the water and the temp humidity has stayed around where it needs to be. One hatched so I assume I had that part right.
1f60a.png

I was going to candle them but I read on a different thread that once they start to hatch opening the incubator is bad. Do think it's ok to open super fast to candle one? I only opened it really fast to take my one chick out today. She/he is doing great! Eating, drinking and peeping. I just feel bad because he/she is all alone. I put a stuffed animal in there which the little chickie really likes.
No new eggs have hatched.
1f615.png

As long as none of the other eggs have pipped through the shell then it is fine to open the incubator. The only time it can cause trouble is if you have eggs that have broken through the shell, the colder, dryer air from outside (for prolonged periods of time) can dry out the membrane and shrink it around the chick. So if none of the eggs have made progress I wouldn't worry about opening and me personally, would candle each one and see what I can find out.

I just candled them. All but one I could see the chick! :yiipchick I'm sure they will hatch I just need to wait. I put them in the incubator on May 6th so it's only been 17 days. They were under a hen for a few days before she left the nest and I decided to incubate. I thinking maybe the one who hatched might have been laid earlier then the other.
The humidity is holding good but I did notice my temp the last few days has been around 98.8 and I can't seem to did it higher. :/ I hope that doesn't effect the hatch my little one wants some friends.

I just candled them. All but one I could see the chick! :yiipchick I'm sure they will hatch I just need to wait. I put them in the incubator on May 6th so it's only been 17 days. They were under a hen for a few days before she left the nest and I decided to incubate. I thinking maybe the one who hatched might have been laid earlier then the other.
The humidity is holding good but I did notice my temp the last few days has been around 98.8 and I can't seem to did it higher. :/ I hope that doesn't effect the hatch my little one wants some friends.

Good news!! Low temp will cause a late hatch. Plus when the eggs are in the nest and the hen keeps getting up or other hens sit to lay then some eggs get jump started on incubation. At this point I think I would just leave the temp where it is. A lot of people will lower the temp at hatch time.

Dont give up yet.. I have had eggs hatch up to 3 days past their due date. And this recent hatch they all hatched 3 days early hahaha. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom