Only One Hen

FourandSix

Songster
9 Years
Mar 28, 2012
Eugene, Oregon
Unfortunately, I lost one of my hens to cancer and I only have one hen left. I've decided that I will have to get some chicks so that she is not by herself, but because it will be awhile before they can go outside I'm not sure what to do for her in the meantime. Any suggestions?
Also, when the chickens are still in the brooder can I bring her in the same room as them so she has company when I can watch her?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I lost one of my hens to cancer and I only have one hen left. I've decided that I will have to get some chicks so that she is not by herself, but because it will be awhile before they can go outside I'm not sure what to do for her in the meantime. Any suggestions?

Spend a lot of time with her. Put a mirror in with her so she feels like she has a friend. Poor girl, she knows her friend is gone too :( Maybe let her hear the peeps but don't let her get close, she has immunities they don't. that way, she will know she has friends coming. Depending on the breed and temperament she may even want to be a surrogate mom. What breed is she?

How old is your remaining hen? Chickens are not real long lived, and if they are both the same age, and they were both hatchery birds, the remaining bird may be close to the end too.

Personally, it will be months before chicks are old and big enough to be with her. That is a long time for her to be by herself. I think I would look for either an older hen, or a point of lay hen.

Mrs K

Make sure your new chicks are vaccinated for Marek's disease at the hatchery, and keep them totally isolated from your chicken house and bird for two weeks. Then move them out to the coop area, with their heat lamp, so that your hen can see them but isn't with them. By the time they can run around without their heat source, she will probably be very happy to have a flock to boss around. Mary

She is a Rhode Island Red, but based on her personality I don't think she would be a good mother.

No, she would not, hasn't a broody bone in her body. She also should not be around chicks unsupervised until they are her size roughly. You know RIR's are bossy, she may hurt one that is much smaller than her. A see but no touch program in the meantime is good (after the chicks are out of the brooder).
smile.png

Make sure your new chicks are vaccinated for Marek's disease at the hatchery, and keep them totally isolated from your chicken house and bird for two weeks.  Then move them out to the coop area, with their heat lamp, so that your hen can see them but isn't with them.  By the time they can run around without their heat source, she will probably be very happy to have a flock to boss around.  Mary

I'll be getting them from the feed store, are they usually vaccinated?

I'll be getting them from the feed store, are they usually vaccinated?

No, they usually are not. If your bird has never had mareks, I wouldn't worry too much. Keep her and them separated for 6 weeks in case the new birds have mareks.
smile.png

Many people get new chicks to put under broody hens that don't have fertile eggs or the eggs didn't hatch. Again, not with an RIR should one try that but don't over worry.

Last edited:
No, they usually are not. If your bird has never had mareks, I wouldn't worry too much. Keep her and them separated for 6 weeks in case the new birds have mareks.
smile.png

Many people get new chicks to put under broody hens that don't have fertile eggs or the eggs didn't hatch. Again, not with an RIR should one try that but don't over worry.
Thank you for your help

Back
Top Bottom