Ontario, Canada

Hey everybody I'm new to backyard chickens. Live in Scotland ontario just south of Brantford. Don't even have my chickens yet. Will be getting day olds in a couple weeks. Super excited!

@katiaobie I grew up in westover such a small world!

Hey there, there seems to be more and more backyard chicken keepers in southern Ontario all the time. I'm in Cold Springs, near Cobourg. This is my first year with chickens and have lots to learn and this site has been very helpful.

@chichalicious: how have your hens been dealing with all the snow? Do they come outside? My girls have a covered run but won't put their feet on snow--I've gone through bales and bales of straw just to give them somewhere to walk.

I have three hens and two for sure are in moult. There are feathers everywhere! It's so strange to me that they'd moult when they need feathers the most! I checked them all over because just by looking at them you'd never know any feathers were missing--they're soooo fluffy!! But one girl has bald patches on her neck and the other has a ton of pin feathers around her neck and missing feathers on top of her head. I'm only getting 2 of 3 eggs and sometimes just 1of 3. I don't heat or light the coop. I read somewhere to increase their protein during moult so I've been giving them some extras (cooked eggs, tofu, sunflower seeds, etc). They seem normalish--just a bit more quiet and aren't really into being touched.
I heard on the news today that we've gotten snow for 60 of the past 89 days ...what a long winter this must be for the chickens!!

Hi ! I'm from Thunder Bay, ON , and I just picked up my girls last week(18 ready to lay hens - 19 weeks old ) . It's still cold and snowy here. Do you think with the weather still being cold it will take the hens longer to give me that first wonderful , lovely egg? And how warm do you find it has to get before they make that first trek outside? This is my first year with chickens since I was a kid so I need a refresher! Also brought a few day-old ducklings into the mix, but they are living inside the house for the foreseeable future.

Back
Top Bottom