Open Air Poultry House aka Woods Coop in Minneapolis

Very nice workmanship
clap.gif

Great thread!

Also concerned about the upper windows (clerestory not monitor), looks like the bottoms are below the top edge of lower roof? Might just be the angle of photo. Making them open outward would provide rain protection...or you could add what I call an 'eyebrow roofie'......see My Coop page.

My coop shed is a clerestory configuration....similar to but NOT a Woods Coop design.
I added deep eaves when I reroofed it...including the eyebrow. Upper windows open from inside, are open all summer, and don't think I've ever had rain blow in....tho they are shorter than yours.

This is the type of coop I hope to build someday. Well, have it built because I can barely pound and a nail :) how many chickens is a 6 x 10 design for? And may I ask a personal question? What did this cost?

I have been saving my receipts in an envelope and just crunched the numbers this morning; my coop came out to about $1000*. Most expensive items were the things that I had to buy in large quantities and there was some waste: house wrap, shingles especially. But not bad! I was thinking it would be way worse!
*not including pizza

So right now, my chickens aren't really going outside (we have 8" of snow on the ground.) There are six of them and they each have 10 square feet of space inside their coop, which I feel like is a decent amount to get them through the winter.

Eventually, of course, I would love to add a couple more chickens. I think in a coop this size I could add more easily. If I had ten chickens, they'd each have 6 square feet of space in the coop. In order to increase the flock, I will need to make a protected run outside so they have more elbow room during the day. Up till now they have just been free ranging in our big fenced in yard, and they love it, but if they are to get any outside time in the winter months they will need an enclosed run that provides protection from the elements.

I love it! And I love your "I can DO this" attitude! You are doing such a nice job!! That color choice is perfect, and by the way your little "helper" is just adorable!!

I wish we'd seen the Wood's type coop before we built ours. Then I'd have been smart like you and started with that. Naturally we had just finished ours when I saw @JackE coop for the first time. But now I'm wondering if ours couldn't be modified somehow. We talked about expanding the coop next summer, but planned to do it on the north side after taking out those pesky Hanson Cherry trees that just get in our way anyway. (Right side of the photo)

6 feet high at the back and 8 feet tall at the front.

Yep, it's pretty tall. That's what happens when wifey transfers the rough sketches to the final plans and puts the dimensions (6x8) in two different places on the final. Hubby just did what I said.....I guess.
hu.gif

The finished coop...well, before we expanded the run by adding another cattle panel anyway. The front of the coop faces the east.

I think we could do it....hmmmmm. Now I'm getting excited!! With ours being a bit smaller than 8x10, facing east instead of south, and not being as tall, I don't think we'd get the full air flow benefits that at true Wood's coop provides but I think it would still be an improvement....

I can't wait to see how your's come out all painted and finished off! Great job!!

Nicely done example of the Baby' Woods. With your winters, it will be a true test of the smaller version. I agree with Howard on the monitor windows though. More rain will blow in during the winter months. Better they open out. And you'll have to build some hardware clothed screened windows for the monitor, to keep the wild birds from easily flying in.

Again, nicely done, and welcome to the Wood's club.

Welcome to the Woods Club. :D

My coop is logged on here, just search Oodalolly and it should come up. It will give you some ideas for nesting boxes and roosts.

I use stall sweet on my coop floor. I keep it about 2 inches plus thick. The initial investment is a shocker, but I only have to add two bags a year to maintain that. It dries out the poop, cutting down on stink, moisture and flies. I also toss DE into and the girls dust bathe in it all year around. I don't care for pine shavings IN the coop. It absorbs moisture and STINKS. With the stall products you just scoop, shake, and toss into the compost, like kitty litter. :D

Your project looks FANTASTIC!

WthrLady, yes, I realize now yours was one of the coops I saw early on, and wow I can't imagine building that through the winter! The run looks great too.

I checked out the nesting box / roost situation you have, looks very nice and cozy. I love the speckled paint. This would be a good basement project for me while it's cold out. -2 as I type this.

Great thread!

Also concerned about the upper windows (clerestory not monitor), looks like the bottoms are below the top edge of lower roof? Might just be the angle of photo. Making them open outward would provide rain protection...or you could add what I call an 'eyebrow roofie'......see My Coop page.

My coop shed is a clerestory configuration....similar to but NOT a Woods Coop design.
I added deep eaves when I reroofed it...including the eyebrow. Upper windows open from inside, are open all summer, and don't think I've ever had rain blow in....tho they are shorter than yours.

You are correct aart, the bottom edge of the window is below top edge of the front roof. Not exactly how I intended it, but once I got the front roof on I realized I'd painted myself into a corner, so to speak. I could alter the setup by replacing them with smaller windows, but I also love the idea of the eyebrow. For now the top roof extends out about 8" past the windows, but in the warmer months I can see how this will invite moisture into the coop. Not good. I will revisit this setup once it's warmer. For now all the wind is coming from the other direction.

Nicely done example of the Baby' Woods. With your winters, it will be a true test of the smaller version. I agree with Howard on the monitor windows though. More rain will blow in during the winter months. Better they open out. And you'll have to build some hardware clothed screened windows for the monitor, to keep the wild birds from easily flying in.

Again, nicely done, and welcome to the Wood's club.

Holding my breath. So far, everyone seems happy. Tonight is the coldest so far, and Saturday night it's supposed to be 20 below or something like that
hit.gif
I might have to ask one of you to talk me down from bringing them all inside! I have been giving them corn and such at night before they go to bed, and it doesn't feel drafty in the back but I still worry as this is my first winter with chickens. Anything special you do for your birds on extra extra cold days?

It's hard to see in the picture but there is definitely a full layer of hardware cloth attached to the frame of the building, covering both of the top windows, no varmints allowed in this house!

Quote: Smaller windows would be the best fix.......windows (and their sill) need to shed 'weather' onto roof....eyebrow might help but...
...I'd still be concerned about rain/snow getting between window and roof edge.

Just their regular feed is enough to keep them 'warm', the corn thing is kind of a 'wives tale'...most feeds are mostly corn anyway.
My birds all stuff their crops before roost time....make sure they always have liquid water.
First year, and winter, is hard.....you'll see tho, they'll be fine if dry and out of the wind.
Do not bring them inside.

Back
Top Bottom