Open front coop done, chicken yard in progress

Nice big coop!

I would think you'd want it facing north to avoid solar gain.
Maybe I missed references to shading front during all seasons but winter?

Oops just saw panels with screen mounts?
Could they be propped partially open to let air in but keep sun and rain out?
Pics of screen mounts please?

Last edited:
Nice big coop!

I would think you'd want it facing north to avoid solar gain.
Maybe I missed references to shading front during all seasons but winter?

Oops just saw panels with screen mounts?
Could they be propped partially open to let air in but keep sun and rain out?
Pics of screen mounts please?

You can't see from the angle of the pictures but in the front yard, the direction the front of the coop faces, there are two trees that will provide a LOT of shade during the winter. I want the sun in the later part of the day to warm things up a bit.

Spring and Fall are going to be my challenge until some things planted in their yard grow and start to provide share for the walls and side of the house.

Behind the coop is a shed that will shade most of the coop from the summer sun. We are planting two more trees on the north side of that to help with shade in deep summer as well as cover for the girls.

I will take pics of the things my husband used to attach the birch panels when I get home and post for you. They might not be called screen mounts but that's what we always used them for lol. Will ask if he knows what they're called too.

These are called window screen clips. I searched google images for them and found plastic clips but didn't do more extensive research. Ours are metal and we have no idea where we got them. They've been around here for a while.

One thing to note is that we have hasp style lock with a padlock. We are going to have to trim the panel next to the door. It's too tight and when we open/close the door that panel moves a bit.

Other than that one issue these panels are working great. I still think we need to do something with the door because we've had some breezy nights and I feel more air movement than I care to. Have to keep that light so a tarp it may have to be
1f615.png

Ah..great pics, thanks...screen clips seems a good name for them.
Combo of panels and shade cloth sounds good.
You'll figure out what works best over time, staying flexible and changing things that don't work well is a good thing.
First year with chickens is like getting a sip of water from a firehose....haha!...eventually it all becomes easier.

Ah..great pics, thanks...screen clips seems a good name for them.
Combo of panels and shade cloth sounds good.
You'll figure out what works best over time, staying flexible and changing things that don't work well is a good thing.
First year with chickens is like getting a sip of water from a firehose....haha!...eventually it all becomes easier.

You're welcome
263a.png

Thanks, I agree it takes time to get it all to work the way we want it to. Our chickens in CA lived in a lean to and were half feral so this is a very different experience.

Last edited:

Panels have been painted. Added two small panels to the door so we can leave the bottom half open if we want to.

There was a light breeze when we closed the door this afternoon. We could feel the air moving at vent level but it's nice and still below.

The girls spreading out on the roost instead of huddled together in the loft tonight at bedtime.

Last edited:

Took the big panels off because it's still pretty warm. Left the door panels on to block a street light and provide a sense of security. They've been completely enclosed at night for a while.

All chicks are roosting on the roost rather than the loft area over the nest boxes now.

Back
Top Bottom