Open Mouth, Foul Smell

blbgp

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 26, 2009
We have a pullet who started displaying weird symptoms on Sunday. Every 60 seconds or so, she opens her mouth partway but doesn't do anything. She has also started moving more slowly than normal, and just acting a little tired, but will pep up when we go to round them up or offer treats. Today we noticed rotting smell when we opened her beak, but her crop is small (was medium last night).

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
RIR, 24 weeks, normal weight

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
- Opening beak approx 1/4 inch periodically (not constantly) but no sound, yawn, or head shake. Opens her beak while walking in yard, but always opens it when we pick her up.
- Sour, decaying smell coming from mouth
- Acting slightly lathargic. Still fairly active, but not as much as normal.
- Sleepy eyes
- Easier to catch
- Yesterday evening, she was holding one leg up a lot (alternated legs), sometimes scratching at head.
- No sneezing
- Has small crop

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Unknown. Started Sunday.

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Drinking regularly, eating layer crumbles and treats (treats given in last week have been pumpkin, apple, mealworms, scratch)

6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Have not noticed.

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Opened beak to check for gapeworm, husband smelled "a foul smell, like something rotting". Did not see any blockage. Wiped roost with paper towel to check for red mites, no signs of them.

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Would like to treat ourselves if possible.

9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
No picture.

10) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Coop at night, free range on weekends, out in the evenings on week days. Shavings and light DE in coop.

Last edited:
Quote:
Really? There are no symptoms of swelling, wheezing, sneezing, nasal discharge, conjunctivitis, or eyes glued shut.

By "sleepy eye" i mean her eyes look tired. There's not "sleep" or crust in her eyes. Nasal passages look clear. No discharge, no sneezing.

I don't know if they have to have a big crop for it to be sour. I'd search this site to see older posts on it and check. Hopefully someone else with experience can help you.
fl.gif

Also be sure there are no wounds anywhere on her in case odor is really from an abscess and just seemed to be coming from mouth.

We didn't smell anything until my husband looked right down her open beak. This morning her crop felt small and soft, but we will check again this afternoon and massage it, and treat it like sour crop to see if that makes a difference.

Any other ideas? They all have ACV in their water.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom