Open ulcer on chicken abdomen

Chicken Poika

Songster
8 Years
Apr 20, 2015
Thunder Bay, Ontario
What is the best way to go in healing an open ulcer on abdomen? She only has one good leg so she’s on her belly a lot. She’s 3 years old and this just started. It’s smaller than a dime.?

I didn’t get a photo. The ulcer is open and at first I thought a worm was coming out but it’s that deep. I’ll try for a photo this eve when I change her dressing. It would be easier if she wasn’t so skittish about the whole thing. Hard to hold her on her side and put antibiotic ointment on and then non stick gauze and then bet wrap around her whole body to keep in place.

I didn’t get a photo. The ulcer is open and at first I thought a worm was coming out but it’s that deep. I’ll try for a photo this eve when I change her dressing. It would be easier if she wasn’t so skittish about the whole thing. Hard to hold her on her side and put antibiotic ointment on and then non stick gauze and then bet wrap around her whole body to keep in place.
Vet wrap, sorry

5AAED238-6066-449B-9CBC-F805DCFC2278.jpeg
AB03ACFE-FE99-48DC-8E66-BD3DDB41F5ED.jpeg
5AAED238-6066-449B-9CBC-F805DCFC2278.jpeg
AB03ACFE-FE99-48DC-8E66-BD3DDB41F5ED.jpeg

Sorry, I haven’t posted much in here and I was afraid it was going to disappear before it posted. As you can see, there’s a second one behind it. I have a non stick pad on there now and nothing else as I think it needs to dry.

966E8E3F-5AB9-4EB6-B402-41697EE5E4B8.jpeg
Since her husband died in August, she’s gotten more afraid. She scurries around a lot as before, she would just lay beside Clyde and protect him. They hatched together and are both crippled. Bonnie could use one leg before but not as much anymore. Clyde couldn’t use either. Both 3 1/2 years old

It does look like breast blister to me, which is like a pressure sore. If she's laying down a lot, that's what can happen.
@casportpony has a short tutorial about how to clean it out in this thread. Chicken pus does have to be removed, it will not dry up on its own. Once cleaned out, chances are better at it healing and closing up.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ister-graphic-pictures.1096276/#post-16850510

Have you tried propping her on rolled up towels to help get the pressure off her breast?
If she can't stand for long periods of time, then a sling may be helpful. She can stand, but be supported by the sling.
Alternating her positions can help with healing too. It would be similar to having a patient in bed the majority of the time, you have to keep moving and turning them to help prevent sores.

:hugsI'm sorry to hear about Clyde, I'm sure Bonnie and you both miss him. At 3 1/2 years, you've done a good job taking care of them. Bonnie looks like a sweet girl.

It does look like breast blister to me, which is like a pressure sore. If she's laying down a lot, that's what can happen.
@casportpony has a short tutorial about how to clean it out in this thread. Chicken pus does have to be removed, it will not dry up on its own. Once cleaned out, chances are better at it healing and closing up.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ister-graphic-pictures.1096276/#post-16850510

Have you tried propping her on rolled up towels to help get the pressure off her breast?
If she can't stand for long periods of time, then a sling may be helpful. She can stand, but be supported by the sling.
Alternating her positions can help with healing too. It would be similar to having a patient in bed the majority of the time, you have to keep moving and turning them to help prevent sores.

:hugsI'm sorry to hear about Clyde, I'm sure Bonnie and you both miss him. At 3 1/2 years, you've done a good job taking care of them. Bonnie looks like a sweet girl.
Thanks, yes, they’re my pets and spoiled. I have used towels but she does move around a lot. How did you do the vet wrap? Around the whole body??

Back
Top Bottom