Open wound with maggots

Clean the wound. Make sure all the maggots are cleaned out. Disinfect the wound and then you can keep using the neosporin. I have found neosporin to work better than most anything on bird wounds. I too would keep him where flies can't get to the wound.

This is common during the summer for animals to get maggots in wounds and can be relatively easy to fix if you keep it super clean and covered with anitbiotics especially if it is a small wound. Pics would be great for us to get a better idea.

You can use iodine, peroxide, alcohol or anything you have on hand. These all work great.

Get some KRS from the feed store. It is a spray for maggots in wounds. And if it were me, while I was at the feed store I would get a packet of powdered terramycin and dust that on the wound. You need to trim off the dead and dying tissue from in and around the wound.

I'm hoping what looks like intestines is really just underlying flesh. If not, it sounds bad.

As icky as maggots sound, it may have been the best thing for that wound. Maggots only eat necrotic flesh, not healthy flesh. They actually keep a wound cleaner and healthier. Some hospitals are using "medical grade" maggots for wound debriding, in some cases.

Keep him inside, keep the wound immaculately clean and use treiple antibiotic cream on it.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him.

It would also help to keep fly's off by placing a fan near him. Rinse the wound thoroughly with saline solution and do not cover it. It will heal faster if it is left uncovered.

I had a similiar wound when a dog grab oneof my hens. I did not see the wound until days later. I placed her in a cage with a fan and rinse 3xs a day with saline solutions and for only the first 4 days I added neospirin.

A picture would help a lot will be looking for it.
Good luck until then.

Quote:
Ummm, yes, medical grade, which means no germs brought in. Not at all the case for maggots grown from flies laying eggs in wounds. You don't want them in the wound. And the wound does not need debriding by any method unless it is full of necrotic tissue.

Okay I'm sure that some one will not agree with me on this, but I can only tell you what I did with a similar problem with maggots on one of my hens. I have a german shephard that had gotten a hold of one of my hens, and she hide out for two days. When I found her she smelled of death. I found that her skin had been ripped away under her wings, and across her back. She had the determination to come home so I figured I would do everything possible to help her. I rinsed the wound with clean water and thenput peroxide on it only once. I seperated the hen and put her in a area where flies counldn't get to her. But while she was out, maggots had formed. I rinsed these off twice, but there was plenty that kept coming out of the wound. I was at my wits end when I discovered that you could use a spray that helps get rid of lice(like on your furniture), I thought at this point nothing would hurt.

I am happy to say, she is back with the other chickens and I keep her away from the roosters in a smaller coop, but the wounds are healing nicely. No odors and no maggots, who would have guessed? Like I said this was a last resort, she was torn apart literly.

Quote:
Wow. I think I would have culled her. I'm glad she healed. I wouldn't think she would have. I don't know the stuff you used but apparently it worked. I had a young hen that had the skin ripped right on over to the other side. My first thought is she own't make it but I had to try. She did great. Healed fast too. She was outside in a week. I did catch it pretty fast though. The bugs hadn't even found her yet. She was walking around like nothing was wrong. I happened to notice the neck bone as she walked under me as I was seting down a waterer I had just refilled. If she had been someplace else I wouldn't have caught it so soon.

I was at my witts end with her. She was so friendly, and as long as they have a slim chance, I will try. She was eating and drinking and just wanted a second chance. Sometimes we learn as we go.

We had a 12 week old chick that had been stuck in a fence and between a woodpile. She had rubbed a open wound trying to get free, before we found her. We brought her in and found she had maggots in her open wound. We cleaned it with perioxide, and antibiotic cream. We also bathed her to wash away maggots. She is doing great, but is a little spoiled with being pampered. All her feathers are grown in now. Her name is Ruby!

Back
Top Bottom