Opinion on mixing chicks?

ste1995

Chirping
May 13, 2019
Liverpool, UK
Hi all I’ve currently got 3 chicks in my brooder all doing well.. I’ve got 6 more due to hatch tomorrow do you think they will be ok to mix with the current 3? Or will they try and bully the new chicks? Any advice would be appreciated

Hi all I’ve currently got 3 chicks in my brooder all doing well.. I’ve got 6 more due to hatch tomorrow do you think they will be ok to mix with the current 3? Or will they try and bully the new chicks? Any advice would be appreciated
I had 3 chicks die from my first order.
I had replacements shipped that were exactly one week younger than the first batch.
I put the three new ones in with the 1 week older chicks with zero issues. It was like they had been there from the start.
Young chicks aren't as brutal as older pullets and cranky hens.

No advice here, just telling my experience. I had 11 one week old chicks when I decided to add a few more breeds. I brought home 7 more chicks, between 1 and 3 days old.

I made a larger brooder box, and put all 18 of them in the new brooder box. Don't know if the new unfamiliar environment helped dissipate any issues with the resident 1-week olds, but I had no issues.

No advice here, just telling my experience. I had 11 one week old chicks when I decided to add a few more breeds. I brought home 7 more chicks, between 1 and 3 days old.

I made a larger brooder box, and put all 18 of them in the new brooder box. Don't know if the new unfamiliar environment helped dissipate any issues with the resident 1-week olds, but I had no issues.

I'm thinking a larger brooder box is key.

Under two weeks and you're probably fine. Just make sure the new babies are up on their feet and not still wanting to sleep and recover from hatching. Sometimes I see a little bullying when I add just one, so I would add them all at once or in a couple small groups.

I have been adding chicks to my brooder as they hatch all spring, and removing the oldest, mostly feathered, out to the babies coop. I have not had any issues. I have a newborn brooder where I let them get to be about 3 days old, standing and finding food and water without problem. Then into large brooder.

Back
Top Bottom