Opinions on best egg layers

Steve P

Chirping
Feb 23, 2015
Breckenridge MI
Im getting back into raising chickens and was wondering thoughts on which breed to get for the most egg laying. I had RIR before and they were ok I had 9 birds but only got 6 eggs a day. What are everyones thoughts?

6 eggs a day out of 9 is a respectable laying rate. Not bad at all! Especially if you kept those chickens past the pullet year.

I like Black Australorps but they aren't quite as good as Red Sex Links for lay rate.

So Red Stars are what I would recommend for your situation if you just want pure egglaying. They are also called Golden Comets, etc.
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKSexLink.html

Last edited:
On thing to keep in mind...on this thread you read, "I have a hen of ____ breed who lays every single day! She is the best"

Nothing wrong with that but keep in mind if you want a flock of the consistent best then go with something more industry standard.

I've got a Sebright who laid every single day except one or two throughout the winter but I'd never recommend people get a Sebright for laying hens

I've had my fair share of chickens in my life. Most were from local Tractor Supplies and Rural kings, meaning basic hatchery chicks. First important rule, every chicken is different and they all have their special quirks and personalities. Just because you've had one that was horrible doesn't mean others will be the same. It depends on what you're looking for as well. Are you just looking for hens that'll lay the most eggs? Are personalities important? Feed to egg ratio? Colorful egg basket? I'll make a list with everything I know about the breeds I've had from best layers to best personalities. For the record-- A chicken that lays 5+ eggs is considered a great layer.

Rhode Island Reds/Production reds: Unless you went to a specialty breeder, you probably don't have RIR's, you most likely have production red. They're red in color, maybe a bit of black on the tail, but they're not as dark as a real RIR. I have only had 1 out of the dozen Pro-Reds who laid a huge light brown egg. It took her 4 years to lay eggs that large. The rest would lay barely medium sized eggs and from a group of 4 (minus Big red - my big egg layer) I figured they were laying maybe 3 eggs a week per bird. They had a bad habit of eating the eggs too, even after we made special boxes to prevent it... they would lay in the run after that. Too smart I tell you! To me, they're not worth it. One great layer was worth the other 11 pain in the butts I had. I own a mixed flock, so I've had them all throughout the years at different times. I won't purposefully get one again unless it's not from a hatchery.

ISA Browns: I've only had one, and she's a sweetie. She's a bit shy, and definitely towards the bottom of the pecking order considering this breed is normally known for being very bossy in the coop. She lays a nice, rich colored orangish massive brown egg about 5-7 times a week. She only took a break this winter (I don't supplement light), but will lay throughout her molts. Now my cousin had a flock of 10 of these ladies and they were egg eaters, plucked each other nearly bald, and would fight each other. But when they did lay, they laid a solid 9-10 eggs per day. Before the egg eating, they had a full 68-70 per week, a near 100% production rate. Personally, I would only own 1 or two of these. Too many bossy birds and you might have trouble. aha.

Black Sex Links: These are one of my favorite hybrids. Until this last batch, they were my must have in the flock. I always had one or two because they laid a good, large cream/brown egg about 4-6 times a week. They always had good personalities, but these last three have been a bit bossy aha. They're not afraid to walk right up to you and demand some food that's for sure.

White Leghorns: These guys have one of the best food to egg ratio. They lay a huge, white egg and eat less than the dual purpose birds that I've raised. They're known as flighty, but my girl is only ever using those wings to come to me. I must have gotten lucky with Ghostie Girl. They will definitely lay you a ton of eggs. I hear the brown leghorns aren't quite as good at laying but that's just from what I read. I prefer the brown (which I lost last year right before she started laying) because they blend better into their surroundings and aren't a bright, white walking target for the local hawks.

Barred Rocks: They lay a good amount of eggs from my previous experience, but with the two we had, they caused more trouble than the RIR/PR's we had. They were great with the other chickens, but they were so aggressive with us! My dad has put them on the banned chicken list.

Australorp: I have never, in all my years, had a problem with them. They are the black eyed beauties in my flock and they always give me good sized eggs.

New Hampshire: I don't think I've ever had a true NH. All mine have been oddly large but had beautiful golden orange feathers. My favorite girls were NH's. They are good layers and didn't have that rough and tough attitude that the RIR/PR's have. Even if they are mixed, I will probably always have one of these ladies in my flock. They've always been my most talkative girls.

Buff Orpington: I've always had one of these ladies as well. I found their eggs to be more cream colored. They were like the NH - good layer (more around the 4-5 range for me) with sweet or at least well mannered personalities.

The Wyandottes: I have good and bad things to say about these guys. My golds have always been true. Good layers, good personalities for the most part.... unlike their second place counter parts... the Silvers. I have never had a good silver. They always laid small eggs, maybe lay 2-3 times a week (never broody), aggressive towards all the chickens (roos included) and towards me. I always try and give them another chance and they let me down every time. I have no luck with these ladies, which is sad because I know there are great ones out there like with my golds... I just haven't been very lucky lol.

Ameraucana/Easter Egger: If you're getting an Ameraucana from a feed store or from many hatcheries, they're easter eggers... mixes who might lay a blue egg... or they might be pinkish, green, or brown. I've found my EE's (currently laying me and one cousin green eggs while another EE is laying my aunt a pinkish egg) lay more than the Pure Ameraucana's I've had. The pink layer gives 6-7 eggs a week, and our green laying pullets are laying an egg every other day or so. However, if you like variety in your egg basket, they're great to have. Plus their colors can be stunning!

I have owned a few other breeds, however, they have either been roosters (Black Copper Marans) or were killed by raccoons right before they laid. I will say out of the ones that didn't make it... my speckled Sussex is the most missed. She was a lap chicken if I ever had one (along with my white leghorn).

Now for myself, I like a few things. Egg production, personalities, mixed flock, and finally, a colorful basket. I always have a mixed flock because having all of the same breed is a bit boring. I'm a hobbyist owner. I'm more willing to take in a few of the more known bossy hens then my father, but I don't want too many (if I can avoid it). That being said, I always get some heavy producers (a white leghorn for the stark white eggs in the basket and the most eggs), an ISA, and a Black Sex link. After I get my producers, I look for specific colored eggs - easter eggers for greens and blues (hopefully), olive eggers for a deeper or different shade of green, and welsummers or black copper marans for the darker or spotted eggs. A double bonus with the EE's since their colors are just as much a mystery as their egg color when they're younger. It's always fun watching what colors they show. I always want an australorp and a buff orp for the sweeties, and I'm still hunting for my speckled Sussex chick this year (along with a BCM- so hard to find and I can't mass buy :\ ) .

I suggest if you're looking for good layers alone, go with a small mix of the White leghorns, ISA browns, and Black Sex Links. Give them enough room so they don't nit pick at each other. If you want some calmer chickens to go along with them, the Australorp, buff, and speckled Sussex are good to balance out the flock. Granted, this is just my personal experience with dealing with these particular breeds, but remember, just because a breed is more likely to be skittish or flighty, doesn't mean they necessarily will be.

Red Sex Links and Black Australorps are my best layers. They lay 6 days out of the week if not 7. I've heard Leghorns are great layers as well but I've never owned one.

I am no expert here, but our New Hampshire Red has laid an egg a day since she started laying. In a little less than a year she has maybe missed 3 or 4 days? I can honestly say I do not remember a day she didn't lay. She also lays XL eggs and frequently lays double yolkers. I have a 2.5 year old and a 5 year old who torture her with love and cuddles and she has never shown any aggression toward them.
Here is a picture from this morning of her latest double yolk egg. This one had to hurt! :)

If egg production is all your after....their is a reason the commercial industry uses leghorns. I was given white leghorns from a teacher that couldnt find a home for them. It's winter, but by far my best layers. Some still lay giant, like jumbo turkey size eggs. From such a tiny bird, feel sorry for the poor girls sometimes.

Yes, Basque Hens (Euskal Oiloa) are rare now in the US, only having been here about 4 years now from Spain, but they will be more and more popular I think in the years to come. They are just about the perfect small farm dual purpose chicken that I have come across. We have had a small group for about 3 years now. They are still my favorites by far of any other breed of chickens that I have owned on every count. Eggs collected today (one per hen again) all are about 2.3 oz (extra large) and come from hens that are smaller by far, and eat much less than, many larger breeds on my ranch. I get jumbo eggs regularly, and for a bonus the roosters grow fast and gain weight pretty quickly for a heritage breed. PS: My flock will be closed probably until late fall or next spring.

Christine
https://www.facebook.com/RareFeathersRanchofCA

Back
Top Bottom