Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 8/10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9/10

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 10/10

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
I've not owned any yet. Was thinking of adding a flock of them this spring to see how they compare to leghorns. I think they are a pretty neat breed.

The flock I visited last fall (where I might get chicks from) was very active. They looked great moving across the green grass searching and scratching everything in sight. They were pretty good flyers and a group broke off from the main flock and flew over 100 yards away to forage. That was neat to see.

I like thrifty chickens and the Hamburgs sure seemed thrifty. A little smaller than a leghorn, but larger than Bantams.

I've bred Hamburgs and am still a fan. (Really good Hamburgs are hard to find, though. Still looking!).

They are classified as a Light Breed, but are not Bantam sized. (Bantam Hamburgs do exist and even harder to find).

Hamburgs are beautiful, good layers of medium sized white eggs (once they get started) and are very self reliant. They are good foragers and very wary of predators. As a consequence, they can be high strung and flighty. As Rye pointed out, they are good fliers.

Organized standard poultry breeding and poultry exhibiting started with Hamburgs. Breeding good ones is a challenge and they are definitely what you'd call a "breeder's breed".

Back
Top Bottom