Opinions please

Katz5617

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 21, 2014
I have a RIR who is 30 weeks old. A while back she suddenly fell ill. Not going back over the symptoms - but I believe she had Mareks Disease. It was touch and go for a while, but we pulled her through. The only thing noticeable after this is she has permanent paralysis in her left wing. I don't notice any other defects. She is eating, her comb doesn't seem to be maturing so much, but it seems to be a healthy color. She is definitely smaller than the other girls, but I believe they are larger breeds anyway. The other three are all laying. Could she be delayed because of her illness. We nursed her for a good two weeks and then spent another two weeks reintroducing her back into the run. Has that maybe set her back or could it be that the illness itself may cause her never to lay. If she has paralysis that I can see externally is there a good chance she could have additional damage internally. First off let me clarify - whether she ever lays or not we're keeping her. She's definitely a pet, but if she isn't going to lay I would like to get one or two more girls for laying purposes. Does anyone have any insight as to chickens that have survived Mareks and what is the outlook for laying. At what age should I just give up and say she just isn't going to lay. Thanks.

The question is resolved. This morning as I was cleaning out the chicken run, Lady kept going into the coop and would sit for a bit and then come out. I was a little concerned but also a little excited. Because of her recent illness I was afraid she may be getting sick again and segregating herself from the other girls, but I was a bit excited because she was sitting in a nest. She wasn't in the nest where she sleeps and she wasn't in the nest where the other girls lay - but she was in a nest. After a bit she got up and went outside to scratch around a bit and get some water. I was adding the compost around the fig trees that are close to the run and I noticed her go in again. This time two of the others went in with her as well. They began singing a chorus and the one that was outside in the run was singing as well. I saw Lady walk down the ramp out of the coop and left my shoveling to go over and investigate. In her nest was a perfectly formed small brown egg. Had I not read on here that sometimes with first eggs there can be a bit of blood I would have panicked. I'll be honest. I really didn't think Lady would be able to lay. I had read so much about Mareks and about internal tumors and paralysis I did not hold out any real hope she would ever be able to lay and be anything more than a pet. Lady is a trooper. She overcame her illness and being partially paralyzed the little Lady has laid her first egg. "Lay Lady Lay".

Back
Top Bottom