Options for deep bedding method

Jensownzoo

Songster
Feb 7, 2016
Saint Louis, MO
Right, so I had decided to use the deep bedding method in my raised coop (and deep litter in the run), but it appears I may have a sensitivity/allergy to pine shavings which seems to be the favored material. So, what is the second best option? Chopped straw? Wood stove pellets? Others?

Thanks, I did try a search first, but deep bedding is different from deep litter in that you aren't interested in getting it to compost while in the coop--you just fluff it up occasionally (if the chickens aren't doing it for you) and clean it out completely twice yearly. In my case, I'll be tossing it into the run to add to the deep litter!

Quite right - sorry, i should have read more carefully. Not sure about bedding - have you considered dry grass clippings/ leaves?

CT

Yes, straw and hay are different. Straw is the hollow stalks left over once the grain has been harvested (can be wheat, barley, oat, etc.) and basically has not nutritional value. Hay is basically grass and still can contain seeds, pollen, etc. plus it's not hollow so not as insulative. Hay compacts and since it is both not hollow (doesn't dry out as easily) and contains nutrients, it tends to grow mold and such. You can use hay as bedding, you just need to be very vigilant about keeping it dry and fluffed.

If you're allergic to pine shavings, see if you can source some aspen shavings.

I've had better results with chopped straw than with baled straw. Chopped straw allows the poop to settle in it, is easier to flip over the heavy poop areas, and for the birds to scratch through. The long strands of baled straw mat together and the poop just sits on top.

I find that shredded leaves work better than non-shredded leaves for the same reason. I collect leaves with my bagging mower. I've also tossed baled straw on the ground and mowed over it to create my own chopped straw. Very dry grass clippings work well too.

I've read that some use hemp bedding or rice hulls but I have no personal experience with either.

Back
Top Bottom