Ordered my chicks

cholmberg

Songster
10 Years
Jan 14, 2010
Lewisburg, wv
Rather excited, it's been around a decade since I've had chickens and I've missed them
(long story, lots of moving involved). I read a lot and decided to order from Meyer. I live in
SW west virginia (transplant from the deep south). . . I'm a little apprehensive now after
reading about so much chick loss from the cold. I'm going to go down and talk to them at
the post office and make sure they know to keep them out of the cold. . . I am sure they do
as this is a rather rural area, but it'll make me feel better to go talk to them. They should hatch
on March 3 and supposed to arrive on March 4. I am getting 26 chicks, I hope they make it
alive. .. does Meyer include extras against such losses? or no? I know I read they do not use
the 'packing peanut' method of including extra roos for warmth.

I am sure I will be full of questions!

There is a very little you can do to improve their safety and health until they arrive. I'd focus on getting everything ready for them on your end and be ready to go get them ASAP when you get the call. Just so you know, my PO generally calls me about 5 AM when they arrive. Just mentioning that in case you're not a morning person, that could be a bit of a shock.

March is usually a good shipping time, though a sudden deep freeze can't be ruled out, especially this year! The biggest risk is a shipping delay. It happens and there are horror stories about it, but it must be pretty rare, don't you think, or they would not ship so many chicks this way.

There is a very little you can do to improve their safety and health until they arrive. I'd focus on getting everything ready for them on your end and be ready to go get them ASAP when you get the call. Just so you know, my PO generally calls me about 5 AM when they arrive. Just mentioning that in case you're not a morning person, that could be a bit of a shock.

March is usually a good shipping time, though a sudden deep freeze can't be ruled out, especially this year! The biggest risk is a shipping delay. It happens and there are horror stories about it, but it must be pretty rare, don't you think, or they would not ship so many chicks this way.

I am going to have their brooder set up for them, in the garage right outside the door so I can check on them easily. I have a very large metal water trough that I am going to use at first. . . .the thing I do not know and I guess I need to ask unless anyone on here knows. . .does Meyer vaccinate them? The biggest danger to chickens back home was stray or loose dogs, up here in 'wild and wonderful' west virginia, it seems very hostile for chickens. So I'll make their yard bigger and they will have a chicken moat around the garden, but I am way too scared to let them roam. Their coop will be very spacious for the number I have. I do not mind what time they call me. Post office is only about six minutes away and I will be happy to go get them anytime.

I ordered a mix flock. . .2 buff orpingtons, 3 black australorp, 4 light brown leghorns (white wasn't available), 6 easter eggers, 4 of the rare egg assortment (thought that would be fun and hoping for a black copper maran, but doubt it), 4 new hampshire red, and my husband wanted 1 each of the golden laced wayandotte and dominique. . and they gave me a free chick for the meal maker offer (which I already have someone in mind for). And maybe this is a dummy question, but if I do have some die, how will I know which breed it was? it seems like it might be hard to make such a distinction at a day old? I'm hoping they just all arrive healthy and all live, . . but I know that is likely awfully optimistic. But Meyer is maybe six or seven hours away, so hopefully shipping stress will not be so bad?

usually they only send extra warmth birds on orders that are low in count..26 will keep themselves warm...but you never know ..jeff

I can get back to you in a few weeks. I have my first order from Meyer due on the 24th. I would think that if it is cold they would send some extras, usually roos that will be killed anyway. Here is what the website has to say, "Orders are shipped with up to 4% extra chicks at no extra charge, if available at hatch and will be deducted from the total loss if included"
I am sure they take the cold into account, they want your babies to arrive safe too!
As far as know which is which some are more obvious than others. Your EE's, Orps,and Black Astrolorps, should be easy to pick out. As for the assorted mix and the others I am sure you will figure it out within a few weeks. Half of the fun is guessing your extras and surprises!!!

Back
Top Bottom