Oregon

How do you choose to weatherize ? We are in willamette valley, lots of rain. And at most half 2in of snow for a few days a year if we're lucky. I just brought home duccles "not cold hardy". I am keeping a trio of them in this little coop that is in my avatar photo.

I'm on the other side of the mountains where it gets lot colder. My birds have shelter from the wind and rain, if they choose to use it, and they are fine. Your birds just need someplace where they can get out of the wind and rain. It doesn't get all that cold in the Willamette. It's not like you are trying to raise them in Northern Alaska, If you are really worried, build them some enclosed nest boxes and fill those 1/2 way with loose straw. The birds get inside and it holds their body heat so they can warm up the space.

I've got my coop, which stays nice and dry and has 2 windows and a small entrance door for cross ventilation. Then that lets out into a secure run that is covered complete with a tarp, so that stays dry, too. Then during the day, I open that secure run and they can go into a large fenced orchard.

If your new birds are quite small, they probably should never be out in any place without a cover. Small birds could be killed by crows, raptors, magpies, or seagulls.

Does anyone local raise Old english game hens, they are such good fliers I have had them roam around free ranging with my Jerseys and haven't lost any. Luck do you think or do you think the size of my jerseys scare away any predators??? I was thinking about selling my beloved silkies and raising these lil bantams. My hens are soooooo sweet, anyone have any thoughts????

Is anyone interested in getting some laying hens? there's six of them. Not sure on the breeds some look like EE get the green/blue eggs and brown eggs. 2 to 3 years old. Good home only not for food. Located in Sutherlin.

Hi all! Anyone near Sandy or know someone with some fertile hatching eggs?? I can't find anything on CL lately.. I just got my incubater and am getting it all figured out. Thanks =)
Hi chicknlove,

we have friends in Corbett.

If you are still looking for fertilized eggs, I can ask her when/what she has available.

Are you looking for specific breeds?

We just hatched a batch of our Black and Blue Copper Marans ;-)

Is anyone interested in getting some laying hens? there's six of them. Not sure on the breeds some look like EE get the green/blue eggs and brown eggs. 2 to 3 years old. Good home only not for food. Located in Sutherlin.
I might be interested. ;-)

Can you send pictures?

I might be interested. ;-)

Can you send pictures? 

I have a few pics I took when I went over there about a week ago they aren't very good pictures they were scared of me. They aren't my chickens the people who owned them moved and couldn't take them with.
006b3e2dac6624619e1241acb83a1527.jpg

54e6d51a729a55784c2fefe69d397c70.jpg

The dark one in the second pic in the back is my favorite you can't tell in the pic but she has gold spots and cute tiffs by her head.

Back
Top Bottom