Oregon

It WAS NOT done through this site. I just wanted to warn my fiends here. I don't know if they have/are doing anything illegal but definitely doesn't seem right morally / ethically !!!! Yes I do have some of each.

Can you provide a bit more detail? How did you hear about this group? How did they make contact with the people selling chickens? Where was the post you saw that got removed after you looked into it?

I'm thinking of going to a couple of shows in CA.  Does anyone know what paperwork I'll need to get them in?  The shows don't have much more than dates and locations so far.

I'm really glad you asked this. We went, just as observers, to Stockton last year. Plan on taking birds this year and I'm going to find out what, if anything, we will need at the border.

I'm hoping to get over to the Humboldt show and the Anderson show.

Don't have much that isn't hatchery but there are a couple cockerels that look good to me. Oh boy, traveling with boys, always an adventure.

Going to train my eye if nothing else. I'm also trying to track down a SLP pullet for a 4-Her.

Quote:
Can you provide a bit more detail? How did you hear about this group? How did they make contact with the people selling chickens? Where was the post you saw that got removed after you looked into it?
They e-mailed a friend of mine asking for the birds. They are on Face Book. The post was on their FB page it was about hatching quail. I inquired, they replied, I posted another question and that is when they removed the post about the hatching which contained all of the things I posted. I just posted this on BYC as a warning to my BYC friends. I have received more info but since I DO NOT want this to turn into a big mess on BYC I will not share it HERE !!!!..

They e-mailed a friend of mine asking for the birds. They are on Face Book. The post was on their FB page it was about hatching quail. I inquired, they replied, I posted another question and that is when they removed the post about the hatching which contained all of the things I posted. I just posted this on BYC as a warning to my BYC friends. I have received more info but since I DO NOT want this to turn into a big mess on BYC I will not share it HERE !!!!..
These guys post on CL all the time and when you ask them poingant questions you find out they are either wanting them for food (which I have no problem with) or they are seeking free breeding stock. There are some who think they cannot afford to buy animals but the way I see it if they cannot afford to purchase them most likely they cannot afford quality care.

OK I have seen some discussions about heat lamps. I feel that it must be time for me to once again share a personal experience in hopes of helping others.

Coop lights. For anybody thinking about or with questions about using heat lamps PLEASE READ THIS. First let me say that for those of us in western WA & OR. We do not get enough cold weather to worry about heat for fully feathered birds. You only need to be concerned with heat if you have young chicks.
For ANY lights you use please make sure that the fixture is rated for the size of bulb/lamp you are using (or more). If you are going to use one of the common “heat lamps” they are most commonly 250 watt. DO NOT use a fixture with a rating of less than 250 watt. The cheap clamp on lights are not sufficient for this. You want a fixture with a ceramic base where the lamp screws in.
And here is my point. I have a friend who is also my FORMER feed supplier. She called me one day told me her barn had burned. She asked if I would haul the scrap metal and help clean up part of the mess. I was so shocked when I got there. This had been a barn about 60’ x 100’. The entire barn was gone. She also lost all of her breeding hogs including several pigs that had been paid for. She also lost the entire feed mill. When we started cleaning up and trying to find the cause. Everything pointed toward a heatlamp that was being used to keep pigs warm. While we were not able to determine if the fixture caught fire first and began dripping into the bedding or if the fixture fell into the bedding and then caught fire. Either way IF this had been a proper fixture and secured with jack chain or bare steel wire (tie wire or baling wire) there is a VERY good chance my friend would still have her barn, breeding hog business and grain/feed business.
SO again I ask that EVERYBODY using heat lights PLEASE make sure what you are using is safe!!! The best choice is the “brooder fixtures” with the ceramic base.
I post this in hopes of never having to see another person lose their buildings, animals and who knows what else due to using the wrong lighting equipment!!!
Rob

I know someone who burnt down their chicken coop with a heat lamp also, lost all her layers. I only use heat lamps with broody boxes. Ceramic bases and I use chain to hang them. Early on I bumped one and the hook slipped off the chain. Now any time I hang the hook is closed on both ends to prevent anything coming un-done.

Back
Top Bottom