Oregon

OK it has been a while since I have been up on this soapbox. So I thought I would once again share this.

PLEASE IF you never read anything else I post please read this and remember it or copy and print if need be.

Coop lights. For anybody thinking about or with questions about using heat lamps PLEASE READ THIS. First let me say that for those of us in western WA & OR. We do not get enough cold weather to worry about heat for fully feathered birds. You only need to be concerned with heat if you have young chicks.

For ANY lights you use please make sure that the fixture is rated for the size of bulb/lamp you are using (or more). If you are going to use one of the common “heat lamps” they are most commonly 250 watt. DO NOT use a fixture with a rating of less than 250 watt. The cheap clamp on lights are not sufficient for this. You want a fixture with a ceramic base where the lamp screws in.
And here is my point. I have a friend who is also my FORMER feed supplier. She called me one day told me her barn had burned. She asked if I would haul the scrap metal and help clean up part of the mess. I was so shocked when I got there. This had been a barn about 60’ x 100’. The entire barn was gone. She also lost all of her breeding hogs including several pigs that had been paid for. She also lost the entire feed mill. When we started cleaning up and trying to find the cause. Everything pointed toward a heatlamp that was being used to keep pigs warm. While we were not able to determine if the fixture caught fire first and began dripping into the bedding or if the fixture fell into the bedding and then caught fire. Either way IF this had been a proper fixture and secured with jack chain or bare steel wire (tie wire or baling wire) there is a VERY good chance my friend would still have her barn, breeding hog business and grain/feed business.
SO again I ask that EVERYBODY using heat lights PLEASE make sure what you are using is safe!!! The best choice is the “brooder fixtures” with the ceramic base.
I post this in hopes of never having to see another person lose their buildings, animals and who knows what else due to using the wrong lighting equipment!!!
Rob

I lived in oregon 9 years and it is my fave state of all ( beautiful scenic state and the people are generally so nice too) but for the last 3 years i have been living in Casablanca Morocco and i have to say it is really nice too , a lot of Morocco is like eastern Oregon , it's coast is a lot flatter and level than the oregon coast (except on the Med to the north ) ... i miss oregon and hope to come back one day

I am offering my Splash Orp rooster to anyone that want one free. He is just too big for my hatchery girls and I don't have enough of them. He is rubbing them raw even with saddles. He would do best in a large flock or with a group of large girls(8lbs or bigger). If I get no bites he will be processed this weekend. He is a good rooster, docile and learning to stand up to predators(especially dogs). I hate to get rid of him but I can't have my girls the way they are and not gonna add a bunch more just to avoid overmating.

You should put a picture of that beautiful guy up, there has to be someone that would love to have him.

Hi, everyone!

This is my very first post in these forums. I live in Dallas and we have 4 bantam hens. We just love them!

Hi Donnelle!

We're practically neighbors.
welcome-byc.gif

OK it has been a while since I have been up on this soapbox. So I thought I would once again share this.

PLEASE IF you never read anything else I post please read this and remember it or copy and print if need be.

Coop lights. For anybody thinking about or with questions about using heat lamps PLEASE READ THIS. First let me say that for those of us in western WA & OR. We do not get enough cold weather to worry about heat for fully feathered birds. You only need to be concerned with heat if you have young chicks.

For ANY lights you use please make sure that the fixture is rated for the size of bulb/lamp you are using (or more). If you are going to use one of the common “heat lamps” they are most commonly 250 watt. DO NOT use a fixture with a rating of less than 250 watt. The cheap clamp on lights are not sufficient for this. You want a fixture with a ceramic base where the lamp screws in.
And here is my point. I have a friend who is also my FORMER feed supplier. She called me one day told me her barn had burned. She asked if I would haul the scrap metal and help clean up part of the mess. I was so shocked when I got there. This had been a barn about 60’ x 100’. The entire barn was gone. She also lost all of her breeding hogs including several pigs that had been paid for. She also lost the entire feed mill. When we started cleaning up and trying to find the cause. Everything pointed toward a heatlamp that was being used to keep pigs warm. While we were not able to determine if the fixture caught fire first and began dripping into the bedding or if the fixture fell into the bedding and then caught fire. Either way IF this had been a proper fixture and secured with jack chain or bare steel wire (tie wire or baling wire) there is a VERY good chance my friend would still have her barn, breeding hog business and grain/feed business.
SO again I ask that EVERYBODY using heat lights PLEASE make sure what you are using is safe!!! The best choice is the “brooder fixtures” with the ceramic base.
I post this in hopes of never having to see another person lose their buildings, animals and who knows what else due to using the wrong lighting equipment!!!
Rob

Thanks for the reminder, Rob. Even if you're using a "good" heat lamp a fire is still possible ... A few weeks ago we helped some new chicken enthusiasts build a little mobile coop run, and they put their pullets in it. Their birds are still young, so they put a heat lamp in it, too. The heat lamp was hung too low, and the coop caught on fire. Luckily the chickens were able to escape the boxed portion of the coop/run by going into the run portion, so all the pullets survived. But it so easily could have been a chicken roast.

In our area it is probably possible to start decreasing the temperature of the brooder a few degrees a day so that the chicks are able to withstand our night temperatures within a few weeks of hatching, particularly if there is a draft-free area for them to roost. It is useful to watch brand new chicks being raised by a broody hen ... even in the coldest parts of our winters the chicks spend a remarkable amount of time exploring a short distance away from their "mom," and only run under her to warm back up or hide from something scary. They will cuddle together at night for sure, but I'm becoming convinced even baby chicks don't need their entire space to be heated to sauna temperatures until they are fully feathered. They just need a spot that stays warm with some dry bedding where they can go to cuddle.

I'm thinking about getting one of those radiant heat fixtures for brooding chicks ... they cost more upfront, but use less energy and seem to be safer. They should pay for themselves in lower electric bills and not needing to buy replacement bulbs soon enough.

[SIZE=14pt]Coop lights. For anybody thinking about or with questions about using heat lamps PLEASE READ THIS. First let me say that for those of us in western WA & OR. We do not get enough cold weather to worry about heat for fully feathered birds. You only need to be concerned with heat if you have young chicks.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]For ANY lights you use please make sure that the fixture is rated for the size of bulb/lamp you are using (or more). If you are going to use one of the common “heat lamps” they are most commonly 250 watt. DO NOT use a fixture with a rating of less than 250 watt. The cheap clamp on lights are not sufficient for this. You want a fixture with a ceramic base where the lamp screws in.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]And here is my point. I have a friend who is also my FORMER feed supplier. She called me one day told me her barn had burned. She asked if I would haul the scrap metal and help clean up part of the mess. I was so shocked when I got there. This had been a barn about 60’ x 100’. The entire barn was gone. She also lost all of her breeding hogs including several pigs that had been paid for. She also lost the entire feed mill. When we started cleaning up and trying to find the cause. Everything pointed toward a heatlamp that was being used to keep pigs warm. While we were not able to determine if the fixture caught fire first and began dripping into the bedding or if the fixture fell into the bedding and then caught fire. Either way IF this had been a proper fixture and secured with jack chain or bare steel wire (tie wire or baling wire) there is a VERY good chance my friend would still have her barn, breeding hog business and grain/feed business.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]SO again I ask that EVERYBODY using heat lights PLEASE make sure what you are using is safe!!! The best choice is the “brooder fixtures” with the ceramic base.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]I post this in hopes of never having to see another person lose their buildings, animals and who knows what else due to using the wrong lighting equipment!!![/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Rob[/SIZE]
this cannot be ephasized enough, I found my light with its support fallen in my coop as one of the zip ties had come loose. Checking and double checking now only by the grace of God we did not have a fire!

Back
Top Bottom