Oregon

I know i have been fighting with what i am going to have to do I hate myself for it all i did was trust a Jerk on my property. i am trying to do the right thing and asking here Do i kill off my Dark Brahmas ? i do not want to but i also want to improve the breed . Does the Upper resp carry over to eggs ? I really do need advice if it does i have 200 chicks i also have to do in, 
I am kinda swinging that way but i have to know its the right thing to do my heart is broken and to be honest if i ever see this man again i may just break his nose . Tammy

I would make sure you know exactly what your dealing with before you make a decision. If you have a really sick bird or one dies you should have a necropsy done, then you can decide what's best.

When i Had Pigs Sows i had to AI the Darn thing was 3 ft long cork screw i was in shock at 14 yrs old being a good girl I swore then id be a NUN lol

then for my cows i was like wait thats not the same shape then the horses i again was gonna be a nun

Now i laugh i know ducks have Cork screws but what about Turkeys ?

Last edited:
Quote: I had a Neucropsys Done on 2 of the pullets that had died just before the vet got here the first cough i called him took 2 days for him to show he was sure it was ILV ................... And that vet had me in a Panic but after talking to some older breeders who have been around longer then me and this 30+ yr old vet i think ill go with experience instead of someone who just made the grade he told me today he only raised pigeons ................. wow anyway i am glad he made it out and i am on this list i would not have known what to look for and i got Batril and good advice

You should never use Baytril in any bird that you want to breed, or lay eggs for you. Baytril (not always, but CAN) cause sterility.

Not to mention, it is actually illegal now to use in backyard poultry, at least per a veterinary conference one of our vets went to last year...I'm assuming a lot of vets don't know that yet...

Quote: I will respectfully disagree here. Most respiratory poultry diseases create carriers out of survivors. I suppose that if you want to close your flock and never sell another bird, and you practice excellent biosecurity, which, as you yourself point out, most people don't, then you could keep survivors of illness in your flock for breeding, etc...but for what purpose? If they are carriers, they can never be sold to anyone else, they can never be taken to a show, and you always run the risk of cross contaminating to chicks, etc...
Not worth the risk, IMO.

I will respectfully disagree here.  Most respiratory poultry diseases create carriers out of survivors.  I suppose that if you want to close your flock and never sell another bird, and you practice excellent biosecurity, which, as you yourself point out, most people don't, then you could keep survivors of illness in your flock for breeding, etc...but for what purpose?  If they are carriers, they can never be sold to anyone else, they can never be taken to a show, and you always run the risk of cross contaminating to chicks, etc...
Not worth the risk, IMO.

X2

I will respectfully disagree here. Most respiratory poultry diseases create carriers out of survivors. I suppose that if you want to close your flock and never sell another bird, and you practice excellent biosecurity, which, as you yourself point out, most people don't, then you could keep survivors of illness in your flock for breeding, etc...but for what purpose? If they are carriers, they can never be sold to anyone else, they can never be taken to a show, and you always run the risk of cross contaminating to chicks, etc...
Not worth the risk, IMO.
You're welcome to disagree, but I know of many, many, many cases where this is not true. I have been told both by breeders I trust and my mentors, and veterinarians over the years that what I said was accurate. As well as observed it myself. It's a pretty common misconception though.

Edit: And it does depend on what respiratory disease it is, LT and such are much more dangerous and hard to be completely rid of compared to minor stuff like upper respiratory infections.

Last edited:
Quote: That's fine if you want to risk it. But I suppose we all know who not to buy birds from now. Thanks for the heads up.
Listening to all Opinions
but um what do you do with your issues I at Least posted mine . I love how you add everyone in your Personal Opinion Thats just funny as Chicken poop. So every one has to agree with you ? Really ? You must be God ? WTHeck People are ok to have Opinions but when you post every one or we All Is just asnine to me . Maybe ill kill all my chickens and buy from you . Or send the guy to your place that came here and see if you even have the Guts to post

Last edited:
That's fine if you want to risk it.  But I suppose we all know who not to buy birds from now.  Thanks for the heads up.

Do you not show your birds? Do you really think nobody exhibiting their birds there has ever ever had a respiratory issue in their flock? Do you depopulate your entire flock if you have respiratory issues? If not, do you sell birds?

For the record I haven't had a sick bird since starting up again from scratch, and before then it had been 15 years or so. Anyway like I said everyone doesn't have to agree, just saying everyone's experiences aren't equal. Not trying to pick a fight or be insulted.

Back
Top Bottom