Oregon

Quote: Leslie , at first i had nothing not even knowing who i was for a while . then i got to walking, it takes time to heal and lots of Love I used to get totally Mad at myself , you know i would know i knew how to do something and when id get to doing it completely be lost or be half way threw simple things like math and everything would just go blank like id be staring at paper and nothing its work and i have time . Patients LOL learning that . some of my PTSD gets involved when i am doing things or worry . but the chickens calm me molly and Patron are like little kids who snuggle molly once laid an egg in my lap i was like G thanks LOL Patron comes and gives hugs litterally puts his head on my shoulder sideways like he wants a hug and most fo the time thats when im needing one Kinda weird but fun and really makes them special in my heart ., My cat are also a hobby I am retired from real work but have too much time on my hands and i am not one for sitting still. I hired 5 contractors the first 4 yrs to help me redo my house and hired other people to help me redecorate . Yupp i was bored so the cats and the genetics of them kept me going when someone tells me i can not do something im the first to prove them wrong. Its all mind over matter in many instances my doctors told me id be bed ridden for the rest of my life would not know anyone and my responce was they where not God and no one since i was 18 even my father could tell me what to do . im stong willed have only 3/4 of my brain shrapnel that if you seen any of my Mri's or cat scans you would thing you where looking up at the stars . deaf in the right ear and one heck of a plastic Surgeon put my ear and face back together on the right side . All pretty interesting but still the fight and the trauma have nbt left me and when someone Brings up things they notice or tell me how to spell a word it is not taken as an insult . I am wanting to take the class for myself . I reread my post and feel maybe it sounded like i got upset but i have a good friend who can not under stand half of what i write,. so i do understand and it helps me when people point things out , Other wie how would i know what i need to work on to get back to who i once was ?

Leslie , at first i had nothing not even knowing who i was for a while . then i got to walking, it takes time to heal and lots of Love I used to get totally Mad at myself , you know i would know i knew how to do something and when id get to doing it completely be lost or be half way threw simple things like math and everything would just go blank like id be staring at paper and nothing its work and i have time . Patients LOL learning that . some of my PTSD gets involved when i am doing things or worry . but the chickens calm me molly and Patron are like little kids who snuggle molly once laid an egg in my lap i was like G thanks LOL Patron comes and gives hugs litterally puts his head on my shoulder sideways like he wants a hug and most fo the time thats when im needing one Kinda weird but fun and really makes them special in my heart ., My cat are also a hobby I am retired from real work but have too much time on my hands and i am not one for sitting still. I hired 5 contractors the first 4 yrs to help me redo my house and hired other people to help me redecorate . Yupp i was bored so the cats and the genetics of them kept me going when someone tells me i can not do something im the first to prove them wrong. Its all mind over matter in many instances my doctors told me id be bed ridden for the rest of my life would not know anyone and my responce was they where not God and no one since i was 18 even my father could tell me what to do . im stong willed have only 3/4 of my brain shrapnel that if you seen any of my Mri's or cat scans you would thing you where looking up at the stars . deaf in the right ear and one heck of a plastic Surgeon put my ear and face back together on the right side . All pretty interesting but still the fight and the trauma have nbt left me and when someone Brings up things they notice or tell me how to spell a word it is not taken as an insult . I am wanting to take the class for myself . I reread my post and feel maybe it sounded like i got upset but i have a good friend who can not under stand half of what i write,. so i do understand and it helps me when people point things out , Other wie how would i know what i need to work on to get back to who i once was ? 

This is awesome and sounds like an amazing story of strength and perseverance. Cheers Tammy!

Just my life now guys nothing special

But you could help me when you see me mispell a word could ya post me with it and i will work on the word ?
that would be AWESOME ,

Just my life now guys nothing special

But you could help me when you see me mispell a word could ya post me with it and i will work on the word ?
that would be AWESOME ,

I have reading issues, and they lead to spelling issues, and for me it is all about finding a memorable explanation of how to spell something. Also correctly typing words over and over and over again means my fingers spell better than my brain does, and that has been a HUGE help at times.

The guy at The Oatmeal might be a bit too vulgar for your taste, but I find his explanations for grammar and spelling very memorable. And funny! You might like him, too. Here is a link to one of his comics about spelling.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling

(better than a textbook, IMO)

I have reading issues, and they lead to spelling issues, and for me it is all about finding a memorable explanation of how to spell something. Also correctly typing words over and over and over again means my fingers spell better than my brain does, and that has been a HUGE help at times.
This is called "muscle memory". The patterns we make with our fingers get "programmed" and they keep that information (well, it's really in the brain) so it's repeatable. It's like playing an instrument - after a while, the hands remember how better than the brain remembers. There's a big explanation for it, but suffice it to say, the more you practice, the better you will be.

Also, if you can link words with "things", you are more likely to remember them. Keep practicing, it will work!

Also, if you can link words with "things", you are more likely to remember them. Keep practicing, it will work!

That's better for visual people, and I'm not very visual. Flash cards tend to make me shut down, for example.

I do better with hearing things, and even better with "singing" things I need to remember -- I probably would have done betterl in school in England where they sit around chanting/singing special songs for everything they need to remember.

There is a great neuroscience explanation about how music helps with processing information and memory ...

Back
Top Bottom