Oregon

Brandi laid another egg today
smile.png

And I am happy to say the the ceramic egg (on the right) worked as far as getting her to use the nesting box!

Just curious, is there anything I can do to encourage her to lay earlier in the day? Currently she is laying about 2 in the afternoon.
The cycle for "most' chickens is 25 hours, so they will usually lay an hour later each day, then stop when it gets dusk, so miss a day. Of course, this is just a general rule - some birds are more regular, like leghorns, and others won't lay more than a couple of eggs per week. Not much you can do, she will lay when she lays!

Quote:
All Red Star, Gold or Red Sex linked are made by a RIWhite over a RIR. They get lacing in the first generation from this pairing. It is normal. My GSL is laced as well, and awesome demeanor and even in molt is laying every other day. Mine will likely be done laying in the next two years. Most all Sex-links lay ALL their eggs in 2-4 years.

The cycle for "most' chickens is 25 hours, so they will [COLOR=FF0000]usually[/COLOR] lay an hour later each day, then stop when it gets dusk, so miss a day. Of course, this is just a general rule - some birds are more regular, like leghorns, and others won't lay more than a couple of eggs per week. Not much you can do, she will lay when she lays!

Well I don't think she's sure what she's doing yet lol Cause while the last two days have been around 2pm, today's was about 10am... just a little less than the typical 24 hours lol

Quote:
All Red Star, Gold or Red Sex linked are made by a RIWhite over a RIR. They get lacing in the first generation from this pairing. It is normal. My GSL is laced as well, and awesome demeanor and even in molt is laying every other day. Mine will likely be done laying in the next two years. Most all Sex-links lay ALL their eggs in 2-4 years.
NOPE. They can be other crosses.

Red sex-links can be a cross between a Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire rooster and a White Rock (This variety pair is known as a Golden Comet), Silver laced Wyandotte, Rhode Island White or Delaware hen.

Hope to see some of y'all at the PNPA show. Not showing today but splitting a sale booth with a friend. We're in the middle of the wall opposite concession stand right next to one of those pillars, and I'm hard to miss (6'3" 280 longish hair for a guy), so say hi.

Last edited:
I had the pleasure of eating my first few fresh eggs for breakfast this morning. Omg so good! I was surprised however that the shells were so thick. I thought first timer eggs the shells were usually much thinner. These were almost difficult to crack. Am I doing something wrong? Is she getting to much calcium or something?

Back
Top Bottom