Oregon

I would do this, but I'm being super stupid about photos right now. The ones I tried to take yesterday look exactly like what they were ... a crazy lady chasing around a bunch of teenage boys with an iPhone. :gig  There are two birds I'd love to show you guys ... the one in question who when in with the laying flock looks like a cockerel, but when in with the cockerels looks like a pullet ... and the one I think is so pretty with a super interesting comb (it is like a large, flat, triangular pea comb). 

In other news ... today is the day I bring home a breeding trio of Dual Purpose heritage birds. :celebrate

Congrats! What breed did you get? Are they chicks...I love chick pics!

Hello Oregon :) Its been a while since ive been on the local page. A couple pics of the mystery chick that was rescued out of a local high school parking lot - turned out to be a nice hen & good layer.

Hello Oregon :) Its been a while since ive been on the local page. A couple pics of the mystery chick that was rescued out of a local high school parking lot - turned out to be a nice hen & good layer.

What an adorable chick and a fine hen she grew into! Any idea what the breed might be?

Butchered my first chickens today...they crowed at exactly 16 weeks. I'm probably going to keep my friendliest rooster with nice comb, type etc even though he is mid sized... Taking opinions on this, is it better to go with biggest or friendliest? They are speckled Sussex.

Butchered my first chickens today...they crowed at exactly 16 weeks. I'm probably going to keep my friendliest rooster with nice comb, type etc even though he is mid sized... Taking opinions on this, is it better to go with biggest or friendliest? They are speckled Sussex.

I would go for friendliness even if you are breeding for meat. My two current roosters spur me and attack me. One does it no matter what and the other does it when I turn my back.

I would go for friendliness even if you are breeding for meat. My two current roosters spur me and attack me.  One does it no matter what and the other does it when I turn my back.
thanks Mickey Lou! I'm trying to raise backyard chickens and I have 3 small girls...it's always a toss up though when meat needs to be on the table and they want a quality show bird for 4-H as well! Lol, hopefully I survive the breeding selection process!

She looks like a black sex link. That is what we were told when we got our hens that one was a black sex link (which yours looks like ours.)

Karen

Sussex tend to be undersized. And since you mentioned wanting good show birds for 4-H as well, they don't judge on temperament, these are livestock animals, not pets. Breed from the best and biggest bird would be my advice. It will benefit you more in show room and on the table.

What an adorable chick and a fine hen she grew into! Any idea what the breed might be?
I had a couple guesses as she was growing but now that she has matured her comb doesn't match up. She acted like a Roo until she started laying, then she stopped trying to fight and crow lol. I thought australorp at first but now im thinking a type of Wyandotte.

Back
Top Bottom