Oregon

Great replies (miss the like button on facebook, lol). Not going the bra route - had a vision of multiple eggs, hmmm I'd forgot that my Mom used to use hot water bottles. Like the brick idea. Maybe I'll just have to stop getting "special" eggs and also pray my ducks go broody, sigh.

Ouch! I hadn't thought of that! The big heat lamp bulbs ARE incandescents!!!

I've been considering those Ecoglow brooders -- more expensive than a heat lamp, but if we can't get heat lamps anymore....

Alternatively, do all my chick brooding while we are running the wood stove for heat, and keep them close to the stove. That would be dusty, having them in the house for so long. Going to have to think about this.

Kathleen

ETA: Yes, broody hens -- if you are raising your own chicks. But if you are raising bought chicks, might not have a hen broody when you need one. Broody hens may become much more valuable in the future!

Ecoglows are wonderful. Much cheaper to run, and I like the slightly lower temp, and not having light 24/7. I made the switch this year to them and am going to be ordering about 8 more of them this coming year.

Edit: And when I mean cheaper to run, if you're using a heat lamp by the time your first batch of chicks are outside you will have paid for the ecoglow.

Last edited:
Ecoglows are wonderful. Much cheaper to run, and I like the slightly lower temp, and not having light 24/7. I made the switch this year to them and am going to be ordering about 8 more of them this coming year.

Edit: And when I mean cheaper to run, if you're using a heat lamp by the time your first batch of chicks are outside you will have paid for the ecoglow.
That's good to hear. One of the things I was considering with the ecoglow is that I hope to eventually switch to solar power, and the ecoglow would take a lot less power to run than the heat lamps. I do still have several heat lamp bulbs on hand (having had a couple die on me, leaving chicks cold until I discovered what had happened, I keep spares), and I think I'll try the wood stove at least with our first batch of chicks this year, but will be putting an ecoglow on the to-buy list for later. (Have to get an incubator first.)

Kathleen

A story my grandmother told, and I don't remember all of it, but her mother had found an egg that she wanted to hatch -- may have been under a broody hen for a while, I can't recall the whole story. Anyway, Great-grandma put that egg into her bra, in her cleavage, and kept it there -- and it hatched! Lots of ways to skin a cat -- or hatch eggs, or brood chicks, LOL!
Hah, that's awesome! I'm following a thread here on BYC where a lady is incubating 2 eggs in her bra right now! You should share your story I'm sure she would love it!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/843704/incubating-in-my-bra-an-experiment

On a long shot I'm posting here to see if any of my fellow Salem or surrounding area Oregonians might be able to help me out, or know someone close by who can since there are many enjoying country living here. I'm on the prowl for an old, ugly, totally unsightly 2 horse trailer. You know, one that has been sitting in a field for years now and just needs to GO? I'm going to put a ton of work and elbow grease into it and make it my movable chicken coop (we will be moving into the country to share land with my in-laws and I want to be able to take my time on this project). It does not need to be animal hauling worthy, just have decent enough wheel bearings and tires (even if I have to pump them up first) to get it to Salem. I'm willing to travel around 45 min. or so to get to it. Surface rust and horrible paint is fine, just no thru and thru rust. Bad floor is fine - I'm ok with replacing it. Yucky interior is no problem - a lot of TLC can work wonders. I've seen them in this shape on Craigslist for around $200-$350 (I just can't get to them in time before they are gone), so that is the ballpark I'm shooting for (or less, of course!). Thanks in advance! I'm excited about this idea and I can't wait until the time comes that I can add to my little flock of 5.

Just popping in to say "Hi" from Oregon. I'm going to be getting some chicks this spring, got my breeds narrowed down to my favorite
choices, and am currently cooking up plans for a brooder and a coop. I stopped by Ludeman's, which is very close to my current residence, and met some girls and chicks up close. Love the birds even more. :love
The slightly older chicks would follow my finger when I wiggled it in their line of sight outside of the cage. (If this isn't ok interaction with chickens please do let me know)
I also got wind of a beginner chicken class there next month I'll be attending. I'll be keeping my eye on this thread, and tackling all the pages to it soon enough to look for breeder information or places to get chicks.

Look forward to joining the local chicken communities. Oh! And I should add that the breeds that have caught my attention are Silkies, Ameraucanas, and Wyandottes. :weee

Just popping in to say "Hi" from Oregon. I'm going to be getting some chicks this spring, got my breeds narrowed down to my favorite
choices, and am currently cooking up plans for a brooder and a coop. I stopped by Ludeman's, which is very close to my current residence, and met some girls and chicks up close. Love the birds even more.
love.gif

The slightly older chicks would follow my finger when I wiggled it in their line of sight outside of the cage. (If this isn't ok interaction with chickens please do let me know)
I also got wind of a beginner chicken class there next month I'll be attending. I'll be keeping my eye on this thread, and tackling all the pages to it soon enough to look for breeder information or places to get chicks.

Look forward to joining the local chicken communities. Oh! And I should add that the breeds that have caught my attention are Silkies, Ameraucanas, and Wyandottes.
wee.gif

Hello and welcome! It sounds like you're off to a great start. :) Whereabouts in Oregon are you? I'm near Forest Grove.

Just 'cause you mentioned it, I have four Silkacana chicks I'm trying to re-home right now. They are 7.5 weeks old and will be transitioning to outside in the next week+ or so. They should lay "pink or teal eggs" I'm told.

I also have an extra Blue Laced Red Wyandotte chick, she's just 6.5 weeks old at the moment.
There is another BLRW that is going to be re-homed later, but she is only 1 week old. She is still in the brooder.
Both are of high quality genetics (Foley/Paul) and were hatched by me, and hand raised. :) The only reason they aren't staying is that they have disqualifications for the standard of perfection and I don't want to breed them. If you aren't going for perfection, they will be amazing egglayers and are very friendly. I apologize if this is too forward, just throwing it out there!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom