Oregon

Look into Dominiques. I believe there is a breeder in Redmond, user name Walltenters, here on BYC. Her name is Rhonda and might be a good contact for you. She also has a breeding partner over here on this side of the mountains :) They do a great job with their birds and are very knowledgeable.

Thank you for the tip!

I wanted to make sure that everyone is aware that any eggs, chicks, poultry or supplies purchased from Christine Cole since 2012 to present are more than likely to be contaminated with MG. Thank you.

Thank you Sonja, is she a breeder here in Oregon?

I wanted to make sure that everyone is aware that any eggs, chicks, poultry or supplies purchased from Christine Cole since 2012 to present are more than likely to be contaminated with MG. Thank you.

Really not cool to bully and slander a good breeder all over the internet on an unconfirmed rumor.

Even if it turned out to be true I bet close to 90% of the people on this group have it, if your birds range at all, or if wild birds can get into your coops you probably have MG. It's just something novice and rookie people like to get worked up about.

Last edited:
Anyone else in Central Oregon? I'm in Bend. :)

Hoping to move out to some property next year, and would like to start raising chickens for meat and eggs. I'd like decent layers, I don't need super fast growing or giant chickens. Just something to supplement our diet (and our dogs') with free range, naturally raised meat. I'd also like something fairly broody since I want to hatch chicks naturally.

From what I can tell, some breeds that might work would be Orpingtons, Wyandottes, Rhode Island Reds and Plymouth Rocks. Thoughts from other CO people?
Hi there. I was just lurking in here as I am in the planning stages of moving back to Oregon. I am in Eastern WA and have 3 Wyandottes, 2 Production Reds and a Rock, during that recent cold snap we didn't see temps above teen's for a week. Didn't heat the coop and they seem no worse for the wear. I really like our Australorp too. Her eggs are a little darker than the other brown layers. I have a Wyandotte who likes to go broody but not sure if it's a trait for the breed.

Last edited:
Hi there. I was just lurking in here as I am in the planning stages of moving back to Oregon. I am in Eastern WA and have 3 Wyandottes, 2 Production Reds and a Rock, during that recent cold snap we didn't see temps above teen's for a week. Didn't heat the coop and they seem no worse for the wear. I really like our Australorp too. Her eggs are a little darker than the other brown layers. I have a Wyandotte who likes to go broody but not sure if it's a trait for the breed.

Does it get really hot up there too? CO is bizarre weather wise, it's a high desert so it's very dry. We get cold in the winter (coldest so far was -20 overnight) and hot in the summer! Usually only around 80-90 F but at least a couple weeks in summer are always 90-100. I've been worried about finding a breed that can handle both extreme heat and cold.

Anyone else in Central Oregon? I'm in Bend. :)

Hoping to move out to some property next year, and would like to start raising chickens for meat and eggs. I'd like decent layers, I don't need super fast growing or giant chickens. Just something to supplement our diet (and our dogs') with free range, naturally raised meat. I'd also like something fairly broody since I want to hatch chicks naturally.

From what I can tell, some breeds that might work would be Orpingtons, Wyandottes, Rhode Island Reds and Plymouth Rocks. Thoughts from other CO people?
I'm also in CO, north of Redmond. Welcome! From your list my personal preference would be the Wyandotte, but that's just because I don't really like single combs. The suggestion of contacting Heaven (Walltenters) about her Dominiques is a good one, she has nice birds. She actually moved to the valley about a year ago, but i believe her breeding partner (Rhonda) is still over here as are a lot of their birds.

Last edited:
Our last summer was very long and hot. We regularly had highs in the upper 90's. Our microclimate is characterized by extreme daily temp swings- as much as 60 degrees is not unusual. In extreme heat I let the girls free range so they can access the deepest shade. They were definitely miserable but no losses. I have EEE's and Leghorns as well, they seem to tolerate heat better than the heavier birds. They are also excellent foragers. They seem to tolerate the cold just fine, maybe not quite as comfortably as the big girls? the main problem is I've had is frostbite on the LH's combs. The EE's have small combs & I haven't had any issues with them in the cold.

Anyone close to Eugene interested in a 5 month old Silkie Roo Mix?? I had thought I would keep him but between his foster dad and the females he keeps getting beat up because he wont leave the ladies alone.. Not real interested in eating him if someone wants to take him for their flock.

I'm also in CO, north of Redmond. Welcome! From your list my personal preference would be the Wyandotte, but that's just because I don't really like single combs. The suggestion of contacting Heaven (Walltenters) about her Dominiques is a good one, she has nice birds. She actually moved to the valley about a year ago, but i believe her breeding partner (Rhonda) is still over here as are a lot of their birds.

I admit I am leaning towards Wyandottes because they are so pretty! Especially the SLW. But I like the looks of the Dominiques as well, and would not mind having a mixed flock for options. :) I'm having a really hard time at the moment because we don't even have a house built on the property yet but after doing all this research I want chickens NOW, haha!

Our last summer was very long and hot. We regularly had highs in the upper 90's. Our microclimate is characterized by extreme daily temp swings- as much as 60 degrees is not unusual. In extreme heat I let the girls free range so they can access the deepest shade. They were definitely miserable but no losses. I have EEE's and Leghorns as well, they seem to tolerate heat better than the heavier birds. They are also excellent foragers. They seem to tolerate the cold just fine, maybe not quite as comfortably as the big girls? the main problem is I've had is frostbite on the LH's combs. The EE's have small combs & I haven't had any issues with them in the cold.

Temp swings are nuts here too... Going on hikes I carry my snow gear in the car until July, and keep shorts in my car year round just in case! I do want to let them semi-free range- basically they'll always be fenced in, but in a VERY large area. Maybe 1/4-1/2 acre, with lots of juniper trees for shade to hide under. :)

Gah. I'm so excited. I'm picking up all the supplies needed to build an incubator on Wednesday! I have plans all drawn up and will be testing it this coming weekend for temperature fluctuations as well as humidity and heat efficency. There's just a few more things I'm not quite sure on, but everyone here has been great and knowledgable so far!

So my question is, anyone have fertilized silkie, Ameraucana (in standard colors), or wyandotte eggs? I'm really not too terribly picky on colors to be honest. I am kinda being a stickler for pure bred birds because I'm planning on breeding my own chickens and would like to start out with the basic foundation first and get started with my mendelian table! (I kid)

I live in the Beaverton area, but I've driven from Hillsboro to Seattle for a hedgehog and Klamath falls for a Scottish fold cat before. I don't particularly want to go to Seattle for some fertilized eggs, but I am more than willing to drive an hour or two, maybe even 3 but that's pushing it. Not opposed to going across the river to Vancouver area, or just south in the St. John, St. Helens area.

If there is anyone around who has any I would love to discuss buying some eggs, as long as I can figure out how to transport them and keep them....erm....ready to grow?
lol.png

I don't mind meeting multiple people on different days either. So hopefully I can find some hatching eggs pretty easily!

Still can't believe how excited I am! I'm just itching for new projects and I usually don't get this antsy until around March, but I have...pre spring fever I guess? lol This winter seems like it's been short, but I'm already ready for it to be over.

Back
Top Bottom