Oregon

I have gathered eggs for 14 days and had very successfull hatches. When single mating I want enough eggs to make using the incubator worthwhile so I save for longer. 7 Days is optimum for hatchability. I store them on a shelf in my bedroom closet in egg cartons with a wedge under one end changing ends morning and night (if I remember!), it is about 50 - 55 deg. in there. I don't save anything for hatching that is dirty or lightbulb/oddly shaped.

Thanks! Before this, the day I set a broody up with eggs I'd gather all the day's eggs into flats instead of the basket and used gloves or tissues to move them. Then I was able to pick out the most regular looking eggs, usually in a variety of colors, to put 10 or 12 of them under the broody. I made no consideration of breeding ... my hatchery birds all run together ... just egg shell color, cleanliness, size, and "shape."

So this whole "gathering a clutch" thing, and caring about hatch rates, is new territory.

I think I'll keep the eggs in the storage room in the daylight basement where my egg fridge is so I'm sure to go in there multiple times a day so I can "turn" the eggs as you suggest. Obviously NOT in the fridge ... I'll keep the ones I want to hatch on a shelf. The cement walls and floor keep it pretty cool in that room ... its supposed to be a wine cellar. Ha!

Thinking May at the latest. 

Even May is still spring time so I'll keep my eye out for your chick updates. It really seems like you take good care of your chickens, which I appreciate and definitely makes me happier to buy from you. I contacted another person with Ameracauna eggs and when I asked for pictures of the parents, they were just EE. :rolleyes:
Healthy looking EEs, sure, but those were not the colors I was looking for. Lol

Last edited:
Even May is still spring time so I'll keep my eye out for your chick updates. It really seems like you take good care of your chickens, which I appreciate and definitely makes me happier to buy from you. I contacted another person with Ameracauna eggs and when I asked for pictures of the parents, they were just EE.
roll.png

Healthy looking EEs, sure, but those were not the colors I was looking for. Lol
We shall keep in touch. Happy to show you pics of any of my birds anytime!

AmericanMom, here are the NH chicks! 22 out of 25 hatched healthy and happy :)

Ohhhh So sweet!!!!!!!
love.gif

Only 14 more days and hopefully I'll have a brooder full of fuzzy butts!! I added a couple of my mutt eggs just to balance it out, two EE's and 3 Ba's, chicken math, 23 is not an even balanced number lol..... Test candles went well, candle them all tonight...The blue EE's are the easiest to see into, all the brown eggs takes alittle more patients...

Ok you are right about the eating then.

As a temporary idea, you could use a plastic milk crate (this kind) to make nests, by placing it on it's side and filling with straw (or whatever type of bedding you use). You could attach them to the wall, if you have the room in your coop. make sure they are lower than the roost. I think you would only need 1 more additional nest for that many birds.

here is some info on Egg Eating: http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/02/egg-eating-prevention-and-treatment.html she recommends to remove the egg eater immediately

Thanks. We still plan on fixing the nesting issue. But for now, we have managed to avoid any egg loss by going out while it's still dark and gathering the ones from our Red Syar, and BR. They tend to lay about 530am. Our EE's lay between 8 and 10am.

Ohhhh So sweet!!!!!!!
love.gif

Only 14 more days and hopefully I'll have a brooder full of fuzzy butts!! I added a couple of my mutt eggs just to balance it out, two EE's and 3 Ba's, chicken math, 23 is not an even balanced number lol..... Test candles went well, candle them all tonight...The blue EE's are the easiest to see into, all the brown eggs takes alittle more patients...
With my Marans I can't tell anything till lockdown or shortly before. If I see mostly a dark mass filling the egg, they go in the hatcher.
fl.gif
on your hatch!

Quote: BGmatt thats where i got my turkeys that had mg/ms so slander not so i have the vet info. MG can spread to humans and other animals
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou...lisepticum_infection_in_poultry.html#v3342226

Im sticking with those that give a hoot . as its cost me in the 4000 range to clean up 1 acre.
Its the Mycroplasma that is spread from one animal to another it lives in the liquid of the animals freezing does not kill it cooking does those that feed Raw to cats or dogs have found issues with the disease and they themselves have had issues so to not take this seriously is well Idiotic in my opinion im working with 4 state vets and the NPIP Head to help every bird get tested for all disease no matter where they live ,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycoplasma
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...oplasma-bacteria-tied-to-chronic-illness.aspx
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/mycoplasmapneum_t.htm

Back
Top Bottom