Oregon

Personally I like the idea of periodically testing and culling birds that test positive or are showing signs of disease. Seems like that would be the best route for breeding birds resistant to disease. Because if wild birds have it, there is always a chance of outdoor chickens contracting the disease. Not a guarantee, but that chance is still there and always will be. If chickens can catch the disease from wildlife, which it seems like they can, the only solutions are vaccinating every single chick or breeding for birds resistant to the disease. I've always been against overvaccinating, so for me breeding for better birds seems like the solution.

Not that I breed currently, but I'd be happy to support someone who did and buy birds from them.

I wanted to make sure that everyone is aware that any eggs, chicks, poultry or supplies purchased from Christine Cole since 2012 to present are more than likely to be contaminated with MG. Thank you.

Really not cool to bully and slander a good breeder all over the internet on an unconfirmed rumor.

Even if it turned out to be true I bet close to 90% of the people on this group have it, if your birds range at all, or if wild birds can get into your coops you probably have MG. It's just something novice and rookie people like to get worked up about.

BGmatt thats where i got my turkeys that had mg/ms so slander not so i have the vet info. MG can spread to humans and other animals 
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou...lisepticum_infection_in_poultry.html#v3342226

Im sticking with those that give a hoot . as its cost me in the 4000 range to clean up 1 acre. 
Its the Mycroplasma that is spread from one animal to another it lives in the liquid of the animals freezing does not kill it cooking does those that feed Raw to cats or dogs have found issues with the disease and they themselves have had issues so to not take this seriously is well Idiotic in my opinion im working with 4 state vets and the NPIP Head to help every bird get tested for all disease no matter where they live ,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycoplasma
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...oplasma-bacteria-tied-to-chronic-illness.aspx
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/mycoplasmapneum_t.htm

Tammy - you may want to read further wrt your comments I put in bold. Although people, dogs, cats, etc can all get mycoplasma, that's a general term for an entire genus of bacteria that includes 120+ species.  M. gallisepticum, ie MG, the mycoplasma that you are specifically discussing, is an avian mycoplasma and has not been shown in any tests to be zoonotic, meaning it is host specific (chickens, turkeys, wild birds, etc). So while people, dogs, cats might transmit the bacteria, they won't be infected. I'm not sure if the same is true of the other forms of avian mycoplasma (M. synoviae, M. meleagridis, and M. iowae) sometimes discussed on BYC, they don't tend to have as high of a financial impact to commercial operations so I don't believe they have been tested as extensively.

According to the state vet they are finding that the microplasma Gallisepticum can spread to cats and dogs that are fed Raw chicken . 
the disease can also be contacted threw liquids from Foul . so where would i like to look up ? do you have the new findings of 2013 sitting in front of you Like i said i am working with some Vets  and Corrdinator Andy rhorer . on getting everyone having to test for NPIP Protacal is Total removal of all Foul and some have been doing Just that . 3 hatcheries in the USA are Clean 100% 1 in New york , Hoovers and one in HI . Pretty sad since i believe that is this was actually looked at and People actually did their Jobs as Breeders we wouldnt be eating sick aniamls or eggs from sick animals . to me those that dont are just plan old Lazy and not worth my time 
Tammy - I realize this is a sensitive subject given your recent experience, and I do not discount the impact MG has on the poultry industry (hence the numerous studies to determine its exact characteristics and the best methods of control/prevention). My point was that in the four references you quoted to support your statements, one specifically states MG is not zoonotic, one says nothing about it being a threat to people, only that they can transmit it on clothes, etc, and the other two are not talking about MG at all - one talks about mycoplasma pneumoniae and the other makes broad statements about the entire genus mycoplasma.
Do I have 2013 studies to quote - not at my fingertips. I believe the last one I read was completed in 2012, though I have also read a number of abstracts for studies due to complete in 2014. I can point you to the World Organization for Animal Health, who tracks all these diseases and updates their information annually. As of Jan 1, 2014 they still list MG as avian specific and have not updated their synopsis of the disease to reflect any public health threat. Additionally, it is not listed by the CDC as being zoonotic.

Just a follow up on my inquiry a few weeks ago, I finally picked up that Old English Bantam Game Rooster that I was asking about and surprised the husband with him on his birthday. He was so happy! It's been three days now and the rooster hasn't even made it outside yet. He's been either in the spacious pet carrier by the window or on the husband's lap. There was even mention of a possible chicken diaper, but I think he may be too flighty to be a strictly indoor bird.

How can you possibly make the statement that unless in a controlled environment "They can and WILL be exposed to it."? Name one scientific study, or any fact based material that backs that up. Do you know what amount of secretions necessary to contract the disease or how many times a wild bird has infected poultry or the percentage of wild birds have it?

Just because it can happen, doesn't mean it will. It is about education of MG or any poultry disease for that matter and bio-security. Simple things that anyone can do. I personally had a 15+ year run of being MG free with having a free range flock the entire time.

Ask any local, state or federal veterinarian how "silly" it is to worry about MG. Please don't believe the rumors that it is everywhere and everyone has it. That is simply not the case. But don't take it from me either.

Private Poultry Vet
Dr. Lynne Luna, DVM
[email protected]

Oregon Department of Agriculture
[email protected]
Phone: 503-986-4550
Communications: 503-986-4559
Fax: 503-986-4747

OSU Extension Service
Administration
Oregon State University
101 Ballard Hall
Corvallis, OR 97331-3606
tel: 541-737-2713

Maybe instead of BGMatt you should change it to MGMatt....
Funny Matt LMAO
Tammy,

I wanted to get back to you on this issue. I have checked with one hatchery in Iowa and with the NPIP coordinator, Andy Rhorer on this. Both told me that most of the hatcheries selling exhibition, poultry and game birds to small flock owners are not MG/MS clean. This surprised me very much since I had always assumed they were. Just goes to show you about assuming anything doesnt it?

In order to change this situation, we would either need to change our import rule on poultry (this is possible but takes time an we will consider doing this in the future) or bring it up as a proposal at the next NPIP meeting in 2013. Sad to say that the 2010 meeting was held in Portland and it would have been a perfect time to discuss it.

In the meantime, I think what I need to do is write an article for the Alternative Poultry Assn. newsletter to alert people about MG/MS and that the birds they order from out of state hatcheries are only certified as pullorum/typhoid and AI clean. For buying birds within state or from your neighbors, the old axiom let the buyer beware is a good rule of thumb as well as the all in/all out practice.

Thanks so much for bringing this to my attention.

Don ( Don Hoenig, Or.state vet)

Quote: BGmatt thats where i got my turkeys that had mg/ms so slander not so i have the vet info. MG can spread to humans and other animals
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou...lisepticum_infection_in_poultry.html#v3342226

Im sticking with those that give a hoot . as its cost me in the 4000 range to clean up 1 acre.
Its the Mycroplasma that is spread from one animal to another it lives in the liquid of the animals freezing does not kill it cooking does those that feed Raw to cats or dogs have found issues with the disease and they themselves have had issues so to not take this seriously is well Idiotic in my opinion im working with 4 state vets and the NPIP Head to help every bird get tested for all disease no matter where they live ,

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...oplasma-bacteria-tied-to-chronic-illness.aspx
Tammy - you may want to read further wrt your comments I put in bold. Although people, dogs, cats, etc can all get mycoplasma, that's a general term for an entire genus of bacteria that includes 120+ species. M. gallisepticum, ie MG, the mycoplasma that you are specifically discussing, is an avian mycoplasma and has not been shown in any tests to be zoonotic, meaning it is host specific (chickens, turkeys, wild birds, etc). So while people, dogs, cats might transmit the bacteria, they won't be infected. I'm not sure if the same is true of the other forms of avian mycoplasma (M. synoviae, M. meleagridis, and M. iowae) sometimes discussed on BYC, they don't tend to have as high of a financial impact to commercial operations so I don't believe they have been tested as extensively. According to the state vet they are finding that the microplasma Gallisepticum can spread to cats and dogs that are fed Raw chicken .
the disease can also be contacted threw liquids from Foul . so where would i like to look up ? do you have the new findings of 2013 sitting in front of you Like i said i am working with some Vets and Corrdinator Andy rhorer . on getting everyone having to test for NPIP Protacal is Total removal of all Foul and some have been doing Just that . 3 hatcheries in the USA are Clean 100% 1 in New york , Hoovers and one in HI . Pretty sad since i believe that is this was actually looked at and People actually did their Jobs as Breeders we wouldnt be eating sick aniamls or eggs from sick animals . to me those that dont are just plan old Lazy and not worth my time Tammy - I realize this is a sensitive subject given your recent experience, and I do not discount the impact MG has on the poultry industry (hence the numerous studies to determine its exact characteristics and the best methods of control/prevention). My point was that in the four references you quoted to support your statements, one specifically states MG is not zoonotic, one says nothing about it being a threat to people, only that they can transmit it on clothes, etc, and the other two are not talking about MG at all - one talks about mycoplasma pneumoniae and the other makes broad statements about the entire genus mycoplasma.
Do I have 2013 studies to quote - not at my fingertips. I believe the last one I read was completed in 2012, though I have also read a number of abstracts for studies due to complete in 2014. I can point you to the World Organization for Animal Health, who tracks all these diseases and updates their information annually. As of Jan 1, 2014 they still list MG as avian specific and have not updated their synopsis of the disease to reflect any public health threat. Additionally, it is not listed by the CDC as being zoonotic.
I understand so you would Rather go with the findings of 2008 instead of the most recent ones to make your self feel better .? Its ok like i said i understand but i will never buy your biords or your eggs and i am sure once we are done many here wont be selling

[quote name="Tammy N" url="/t/48/oregon/7860#post_12659814"]

I wanted to make sure that everyone is aware that any eggs, chicks, poultry or supplies purchased from Christine Cole since 2012 to present are more than likely to be contaminated with MG. Thank you.

Really not cool to bully and slander a good breeder all over the internet on an unconfirmed rumor.

Even if it turned out to be true I bet close to 90% of the people on this group have it, if your birds range at all, or if wild birds can get into your coops you probably have MG. It's just something novice and rookie people like to get worked up about.

BGmatt thats where i got my turkeys that had mg/ms so slander not so i have the vet info. MG can spread to humans and other animals 

Tammy - you may want to read further wrt your comments I put in bold. Although people, dogs, cats, etc can all get mycoplasma, that's a general term for an entire genus of bacteria that includes 120+ species.  M. gallisepticum, ie MG, the mycoplasma that you are specifically discussing, is an avian mycoplasma and has not been shown in any tests to be zoonotic, meaning it is host specific (chickens, turkeys, wild birds, etc). So while people, dogs, cats might transmit the bacteria, they won't be infected. I'm not sure if the same is true of the other forms of avian mycoplasma (M. synoviae, M. meleagridis, and M. iowae) sometimes discussed on BYC, they don't tend to have as high of a financial impact to commercial operations so I don't believe they have been tested as extensively.

According to the state vet they are finding that the microplasma Gallisepticum can spread to cats and dogs that are fed Raw chicken . 

the disease can also be contacted threw liquids from Foul . so where would i like to look up ? do you have the new findings of 2013 sitting in front of you Like i said i am working with some Vets  and Corrdinator Andy rhorer . on getting everyone having to test for NPIP Protacal is Total removal of all Foul and some have been doing Just that . 3 hatcheries in the USA are Clean 100% 1 in New york , Hoovers and one in HI . Pretty sad since i believe that is this was actually looked at and People actually did their Jobs as Breeders we wouldnt be eating sick aniamls or eggs from sick animals . to me those that dont are just plan old Lazy and not worth my time 

Tammy - I realize this is a sensitive subject given your recent experience, and I do not discount the impact MG has on the poultry industry (hence the numerous studies to determine its exact characteristics and the best methods of control/prevention). My point was that in the four references you quoted to support your statements, one specifically states MG is not zoonotic, one says nothing about it being a threat to people, only that they can transmit it on clothes, etc, and the other two are not talking about MG at all - one talks about mycoplasma pneumoniae and the other makes broad statements about the entire genus mycoplasma.

I understand so you would Rather go with the findings of 2008 instead of the most recent ones to make your self feel better .? Its ok like i said i understand but i will never buy your biords or your eggs and i am sure once we are done many here wont be selling 
[/quote]Wow, you do like to put words into other people's mouths don't you? I am not trying to make myself feel better about anything, I am very secure in my flock management practices, understanding of the risks and realities of MG, and the approach I would take if I ever contracted it in my flock. My concern is that many people on BYC would read your statement that MG can be spread to people, see you quoted a few references and assume you must be correct without actually reading the references quoted. Meanwhile, you have yet to actually provide a scientific study supporting your statements. As for buying my birds, since I don't sell eggs or chicks, you don't need to worry. You were right in your last statement though, we are done here.

Last edited:
OK then i ask you why is there ONLY 3 Hatcheries in the USA that are Clear of All Diseases if it is So Difficult to cure 3 pretty sad but id like to see a higher number woudlnt you ?
why spread disease and i doubt i am the one that is Ignorant on the issue i have been doing my part unfortunatly i am almost alone in this

Just wanted to let anyone in the Roseburg area know, I was just told there is a chicken running around near the top of the Calahans. Someone probably dumped it. Thought someone might want to try and catch it.

OK then i ask you why is there ONLY 3 Hatcheries in the USA that are Clear of All Diseases if it is So Difficult to cure 3 pretty sad but id like to see a higher number woudlnt you ?
why spread disease and i doubt i am the one that is Ignorant on the issue i have been doing my part unfortunatly i am almost alone in this

Those hatcheries are also indoor only, the chickens never see the light of day, and every person and object who walks in must be sterilized. Personally that is NOT how I want my chickens to live! Being outdoors puts them at all sorts of risk, including disease. But the whole reason I want to keep chickens is to offer them clean, natural living and that includes being outside! I want them to live as they were meant to, in nature. And sure, that poses risks. If I wanted eggs from chickens kept indoors only and lived out unnatural, sterilized lives, I would buy eggs from the grocery store.

Back
Top Bottom