Oregon

I'm going to the swap just to look around and meet people. I will be taking limited money because I have very little self control!

How is everyone in Central Oregon dealing with this awful freezing fog? I'm picking up my girls this weekend and I'm worried about frostbite. Is Vaseline on feet/wattles/combs the best way to prevent it? The fog has been lasting all day and I don't want to just shut the girls up in the coop.

My chickens haven't had any problems with the fog, but we didn't get much here.

I'm going to go to Central Oregon Ranch Supply in Redmond here pretty soon and see about ordering a couple BLRW, SLW, and Polish chicks. I got my Silkies from them last year, and I didn't have to order 15+. I just ordered my two and they came in with the other chicks. I would love to get some Silver and Golden Seabrights, but I'd probably end up with roosters.

I had someone pick up a booklet of chicks I can order through them.

Last edited:
My chickens haven't had any problems with the fog, but we didn't get much here.

I'm going to go to Central Oregon Ranch Supply in Redmond here pretty soon and see about ordering a couple BLRW, SLW, and Polish chicks. I got my Silkies from them last year, and I didn't have to order 15+. I just ordered my two and they came in with the other chicks. I would love to get some Silver and Golden Seabrights, but I'd probably end up with roosters.

I had someone pick up a booklet of chicks I can order through them.
They are good about ordering/reserving items. But you might want to call, the "chicken guy" is spending most of his time at the Bend store these days, so they will probably have you contact him there.

Edited to say - Oops, confusing my stores, the above info was for the CO Irrigation on the north end of Redmond. Last time I talked to CO Ranch Supply they said they weren't carrying chicks anymore since CO Irrigation, Big R, and Quarry Ave all carry so many. The girl I spoke with said she ended up taking a ton of them home that didn't sell and raising them herself... But maybe they've changed their mind.

Last edited:
Quote: The guy that picked up the booklet for me talked to them just a couple days ago, so I guess they changed their minds? I was going to go talk to them in person next time he's going that way, since I have no transportation myself. If he isn't going within the next week I'll call them. He had to drive the county van to The Dalles today. Apparently they already have chicks in The Dalles, but I seriously doubt they have anything I want.

I'm participating in the Easter Hatch and looking for any Salmon Fav, Buckeye and/or Barred Rock eggs in Oregon. I live in Coos Bay, so anything within a couple hours distance would be acceptable. I have my own barnyard mix eggs and getting some mix eggs from a co-worker, so I'm not desperate for eggs, but would like some Pure eggs if possible...

I was wondering if there is anyone else local , I am thinking about starting my son in 4H and though bunnies would be easy or cavies we have a soft spot for silkies, I dont want to get them from a hatchery as I think the kids get to show there chickens in fairs and I am sure hatchery quality would not stand up well at a contest. I have done shipped eggs many times and though i usually have ok luck the last two times I got silky eggs I only had one hatch the first batch and two the second.

Back
Top Bottom