Oregon

Welcome! Just east of Springfield here.
frow.gif

I'm in Salem. Just starting out with chickens. I would like to get four chics. Have not decided on the breed(s) yet. They will be primarily for egg production and pets for me. Can anyone recommend where to get specific breed chics within a 100 miles of Salem? Where did you all get your chickens?

I'm in Salem. Just starting out with chickens. I would like to get four chics. Have not decided on the breed(s) yet. They will be primarily for egg production and pets for me. Can anyone recommend where to get specific breed chics within a 100 miles of Salem? Where did you all get your chickens?
Come to the Oregon Spring Poultry Swap this Saturday at the Polk County Fairgrounds in Rickreal, 9AM - 4PM. I bet you will be able to find all you want and more :) You can check out the website for more info. Many local breeders will be there that you can talk to.

If you come, please stop by our table, SE5. We are selling honey among other things and will have a observation hive on our table with live bees in it.

Welcome to the thread!

PS) Love the Delaware in your avatar, they are close to my heart!!

Last edited:
Since I really fell in love with Big Mama (the Delaware in my photo) I've been considering getting another one. Big Mama was lured away from our place by a neighbors rooster. She's happy there though as they have a big flock and she's no longer the only chicken. How do you think a Delaware would do with Orpingtons or Wyandottes?

Last edited:
Since I really fell in love with Big Mama (the Delaware in my photo) I've been considering getting another one. Big Mama was lured away from our place by a neighbors rooster. She's happy there though as they have a big flock and she's no longer the only chicken. How do you think a Delaware would do with Orpingtons or Wyandottes?
I have a large layer flock with many breeds. My breeder hens Delawares, New Hampshires, Ameraucanas and Black Copper Marans get penned with their Roosters for a couple of months then they get to go back out with the layers and free-range. I have broodies raising chicks with the flock and I incorporate 4 - 6 week olds I have hatched into the flock all of the time. There are occasional pecking order spats but everyone gets along. A lot depends on ages, space issues and how you incorporate them. If you buy all chicks and they grow up together you should have no issues.

Hope to meet you at the swap. It is always a lot of fun!!!

Last edited:
Hey all, I have extra Jubilee Orpington chicks, straight run, $30 each.  Pics of parents on my FB page Pheonix Farms.
Also a couple of Lavenders that are not spoken for, and Blue Laced and Splash Orps hatching out Tomorrow!  Most are already spoken for, so let me know via PM right away.

Ohhhh I would love a jubilee hen! So pretty.

Back
Top Bottom