Oregon

Which coastal has chicks currently?
Coastal on Garden Valley Boulevard (Roseburg) behind the car dealership on Stephens... They get a shipment in that they said would be available when they open at 8.... I listed what the manager said they would have above... and they will probably have most of them sold by the time they close.

I didn't mention the white leghorns.. I forgot them.. okay, I didn't forget, I just don't like them... They lay eggs like nobodies business, but they are escape artists that are so nervous that they make your whole flock edgy. The ones we used to have would hop the 8 foot fence and go out in the woods to lay their eggs. And that was with trimmed wing feathers. NOT good for free range.

I'll be waiting for the doors to open... All I can say is to stay out of the way of the fat guy with the black cane... he is overly excited about getting back into having chickens, and will probably trip over something.

I didn't mention the white leghorns.. I forgot them.. okay, I didn't forget, I just don't like them... They lay eggs like nobodies business, but they are escape artists that are so nervous that they make your whole flock edgy.  The ones we used to have would hop the 8 foot fence and go out in the woods to lay their eggs. And that was with trimmed wing feathers. NOT good for free range.

Wow. Do you know if there's a difference in behavior between white and brown leghorns? I have a brown one in my flock and while she is by far the most skittish of them all, she free ranges with the rest in my front yard happily (4' fence keeps them in with wings clipped, they could get over it if they really wanted to but they haven't figured that out). She is buddies with the Welsummer who is also flighty but I figure that is because I haven't handled her much at all. I wonder if the difference is because of the different breeding stock or if it's because I only have one leghorn. Come to think of it, before we fenced in the yard she was going across the field to lay in the neighbor's barn. Hmm.

Last edited:
Wow. Do you know if there's a difference in behavior between white and brown leghorns? I have a brown one in my flock and while she is by far the most skittish of them all, she free ranges with the rest in my front yard happily (4' fence keeps them in with wings clipped, they could get over it if they really wanted to but they haven't figured that out). She is buddies with the Welsummer who is also flighty but I figure that is because I haven't handled her much at all. I wonder if the difference is because of the different breeding stock or if it's because I only have one leghorn. Come to think of it, before we fenced in the yard she was going across the field to lay in the neighbor's barn. Hmm.
Honestly, I have not had much to do with leghorns except the white. To be fair, they were more cramped than they should have been. The only birds to fly the coop were the white leghorns, though. I have heard other people who had similar experience, so I am just not going to bother... especially since the neighbor on the other side of the fence has 3 rather "protective" dogs. I don't want to risk it.

SILKIES: My wife wants a blue silky pullet. The only person I saw mentioning silkies doesn't have anymore (and suggested more than one). Is there anyone near Roseburg that has a few "extra" silkie hens?

I had two brown leghorns a couple years back. They weren't skittish at all and I didn't need a fence for them. They stayed right on the property, and wouldn't even go near the road right in front of the house.

But I also handled them quite a bit (several times nearly every day).

my son works at Coastal in Eugene. they have chicks. there are assort brown, assort white, buffs, silver lace Wyandot.. meat chicks.. maybe others can't remember

Back
Top Bottom