Oregon

I really want to look into 4-H for my kids, but I don't think they are old enough quite yet...we have a 4 1/2 year old and three almost 7 year olds.
I really want to look into 4-H for my kids, but I don't think they are old enough quite yet...we have a 4 1/2 year old and three almost 7 year olds.

Actually 4-H has a program for kids younger than the regular 4-H, called cloverbuds. The kids can't show animals at county fair but they get to help out, watch, and learn the ropes. And there are usually cloverbud classes (which means they can show) at other shows. (i know our county doesn't have cloverbud show at county fair but we do at other shows)

I've noticed that the kids that started in cloverbuds tend to be more comfortable moving up in 4-H. Plus when they are old enough to show they already know the routine.

I dont know which county you're from but Douglas county only has a couple cloverbud leaders.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
That is good to know, I will have to look into it...thanks!

Right now we are in Washington County...but we are hoping to move this summer up to Washington and may be in Cowlitz county.

Can you give me a general idea how 4-H works, costs, time? I do stay home with my kids, so time isn't that big of a concern, but cost might be. I know my kids would be into chickens, rabbits, goats...do things vary by animal, do you usually pick one type of animal and stick with it or can you do more than one?

Hi,
I'm hoping that someone in the Portland area can help me out. I need transport for a Delaware cockerel from Sherwood, OR to northern CA. He will be clean and have a health certificate. I desperately need this male for my breeding program this year, so would like to find someone soon. Mailing him would make the price more than I can pay.
I have a yearling purebred St. Croix ewe that I'm willing to trade in exchange for the transport, if someone is interested.

Thank you,
Kim
Hi Kim, If you can find a ride to get to him to Eugene/Springfield, I can most likely get him to Redding.

That is good to know, I will have to look into it...thanks!

Right now we are in Washington County...but we are hoping to move this summer up to Washington and may be in Cowlitz county.

Can you give me a general idea how 4-H works, costs, time? I do stay home with my kids, so time isn't that big of a concern, but cost might be. I know my kids would be into chickens, rabbits, goats...do things vary by animal, do you usually pick one type of animal and stick with it or can you do more than one?
Your local OSU extension office will have contact information on clubs. Down here cost vary, clubs that do a lot of livestock tend to be more expensive, (shavings aren't cheap). The fee per project is 5.00, and I think it's 18.00 to register. The hard part is finding a club that has meeting at a convient time that has volunteers in the areas your kids are interested in. Down here we can usually find a leader to take on an extra project or 3 if a kid has an interest.

Hi Kim, If you can find a ride to get to him to Eugene/Springfield, I can most likely get him to Redding.

Thank you. I will check with the seller. @LeslieDJoyce

I can not get the bird as far as Eugene/Springfield. The furthest south would be Woodburn if the timing works out perfectly as the vet I'll use to get the required health certification for the bird to enter California is in Woodburn. But the timing on that would be tricky. More likely transfer point would be in the Tualatin/Wilsonville area, which is just a few miles South of Portland and right on I-5.

Hey guys! I'm from bend

welcome-byc.gif

Tell us about yourself/flock.
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom