Oregon

:woot
So happy to see more Oregonians!!

Hello @ChickenMannR...another Oregonian here..East Clackamas county. I'd write more on this, but by the time I get done looking up all my questions for the day, I run out of time, and my head is a'spinnin'. But, welcome!:frow I am new to chickens and have 28 in my flock, with 4 Roos and 24 Pullets. 5 Delaware, 5 Buckeye(1 roo), 5 EE, 5 BR, 5 Buffies, and 3 gifts: Mixed Ee/Amer/Polish crosses (all gorgeous Roos). We got so many at the start because I didn't think they'd all survive, but with all the advice on BYC, they have all come through beautifully! I am the most shocked of all that I was able to do this chicken thing!!! 20 wks old, and still no eggs. I go out expectant every morning, and alas, no eggs. :hitGood to chat with other Oregonians!!:thumbsup
Hi @WindyTam ! I know what you mean. By the time I get home, check the chickens, walk the dog & feed myself & the other human, I barely have enough time to catch up here many nights. Sounds like you've got your hands full with a great mix!
How do you like the Buckeyes? Haven't heard of too many peole with them but interested since they were the only breed started by a woman.
Also love to see what an EE/Ameri/Polish mix looks like. Can you post pix?

Hey Oregon peeps! I have a few cockerels in need of homes and girls of their own! I raise rare BBS Breda and have a splash Breda boy and a blue Breda boy. I also have a gold partridge Brahma boy who loves being carried around. He is getting huge and it's funny carrying him around the yard to get berries and other treats because his feet dangle way down. Let me know if you would like one (or all!) of these boys! I'm in Boring but can meet in Portland or similar.
Hi @BlueJayFarm !
I wish I could take in your beautiful roos. We already have a couple in the neighborhood & People complain about them. My dream is to get a lot of land & create a sanctuary where I could also have rooster flocks. @RoostersAreAwesome inspired me to think differently.

Greetings from Madras!
We moved from Portland about 10 years ago chasing the sun that shines on the other side of the Mountains. We were able to buy a few acres over the summer and are looking forward to the journey ahead.
Hi @CharlyArmpit !
I've never been to Madras but heard it's beautiful! Wasn't that one of the prime eclipse places this year? Did you get to experience it?

Brrrr, has it snowed where you guys are? We are still waiting for the snow to fall here. (but no rush)
Hi @ThenNotSoChickenMaster !
No snow here in Aloha/Beaverton & I'm totally ok with that! After last winter I'd be ok with just driving up to Mt Hood if I wanna see a little snow.
Where are you?
You know you can add your location on your profile so other people can see it. That helps if you have questions since a lot of chicken questions seems to depend on your climate.

Happy December everyone! The solstice is only 19 days away. Then days will start to grow longer again. :wee

Hi @grp !
:welcome Glad to have another Oregonian here!

Be sure to add your location to your profile so everyone can see where you are. This is really helpful when asking questions since so much can depend on weather, temperature, environment.

And post photos! A picture really is worth a thousand words -- even if it's just to show off how cute your chooks are :wee

Hi everybody,

just got started with my 2 chickens and looking forward to chatting with more Oregonians about raising birds up here in the rain! I'm in McMinnville
Welcome! The chickens will flip out with the rain at first, but then they become True Oregon Chickens -- dashing out from the coop or patio to grab those worms in the yard when the downpour slows up.

Brrrr, has it snowed where you guys are? We are still waiting for the snow to fall here. (but no rush)
No!! Where the heck is the snow this year? We had one morning where there were a few flakes falling, back in December. Nothing since.

I'm originally from sunny parts of California, so the few days when it snowed in Eugene in the last decade I lived there were so much fun.

I was over-the-moon last year, living in Oakridge -- so much snow then!

This year - meh. Nothing. Weather reports say "maybe" next week.

Welcome! The chickens will flip out with the rain at first, but then they become True Oregon Chickens -- dashing out from the coop or patio to grab those worms in the yard when the downpour slows up.

I certainly hope they'll learn to love the rain. They are confined to a run for now but I hope to pen in an area of my yard to let them stretch their legs and root around for bugs.

Back
Top Bottom