Oregon

I am near Silver Falls State Park, by Silverton. I see you are from Roseburg? I have relatives in Riddle.

frow.gif
Howdy there...sorta neighbor!!
lol.png

I wanted to add to this post! I just found this amazing website. I live in Clatskanie, Oregon. It is about 1.5 hours from Portland and 20 mins from Longview, Washinton!

If any of you Oregonians know anyone that has Buckeye Chicks we are looking to add a couple girl buckeye chicks to our flock and one roo!! Thanks so much!

I'm familiar with Clatskanie. Beautiful place. I attended a couple of events at the Zen monastery up there. Welcome!
smile.png

I just want to say how glad I am that I have such a sweet broody hen! She is a Buff Orpington and I just put 6 baby Australorps under her. Last year she went broody just in time to raise 2 Buff chicks. I can lift her up to see the chicks, whatever, and she never pecks or does anything mean. So pleasant. I had 8 hens to start with, but 1 died, (I think the horse stepped on her) 1 got stolen by a coyote, 2 were killed right in front of the pen, at differant times, still not sure what killed them? I decided to replenish my flock.

I just want to say how glad I am that I have such a sweet broody hen! She is a Buff Orpington and I just put 6 baby Australorps under her. Last year she went broody just in time to raise 2 Buff chicks. I can lift her up to see the chicks, whatever, and she never pecks or does anything mean. So pleasant. I had 8 hens to start with, but 1 died, (I think the horse stepped on her) 1 got stolen by a coyote, 2 were killed right in front of the pen, at differant times, still not sure what killed them? I decided to replenish my flock.

Nice! Good for you - I LOVE Australorps!!! And there ain't nothing like a good broody!!!!
love.gif
Sorry about your other birds though!! :( How were they killed? That might give some insight as to what did it...

One was a year ago, right in front of the pen, in the early morning. I had left the gate open all night and they got up early and went outside. I heard some squawking, but it just sounded like they were all laying eggs! The dead hen was there with only a small bit eaten from her neck, breast area. Then, about 2 weeks ago, again in the early morning, a hen was killed in the pen. I had taken the top row of wire off the gate because I was rebuilding part of it. Again, the hen was there with the same small bit eaten from the same part! We have a lot of coyotes, but I don'tthink one would jump into the pen and then just leave the whole chicken? I thought maybe a raccoon, but such a small part was eaten? I just don't know, and yes the wire is back up all safe now!

One was a year ago, right in front of the pen, in the early morning. I had left the gate open all night and they got up early and went outside. I heard some squawking, but it just sounded like they were all laying eggs! The dead hen was there with only a small bit eaten from her neck, breast area. Then, about 2 weeks ago, again in the early morning, a hen was killed in the pen. I had taken the top row of wire off the gate because I was rebuilding part of it. Again, the hen was there with the same small bit eaten from the same part! We have a lot of coyotes, but I don'tthink one would jump into the pen and then just leave the whole chicken? I thought maybe a raccoon, but such a small part was eaten? I just don't know, and yes the wire is back up all safe now!

Sounds like a hawk that was too small too carry the hen away. I've had Coopers Hawks do that exact thing.... :(

Back
Top Bottom