Oregon

Sounds as if you have covered all your bases. I have had some duds myself with chickens but never ducks but then again my brother was the real duck expert not me.

It is very hard to say what causes infertility but I know treatments and past infections can cause infertility. I know a woman who had a bout with a nasty respitory illness in her chickens and once fertile hens and roosters became duds after treatment.

I would try a new drake possibly one that is between 8 to 12 months and throw the dud drakes in with a different hen and see if he produces before culling them. Good luck.
Exactly. I had a hen and rooster shipped from back east a couple of years ago, and they were routed through Arizona and took three days to get here. When I took them out of the box, the rooster drank so much so fast that he aspirated, and gave himself pneumonia (I know that's what it was because I watched him do it) he almost died. The vet put him on a whopping dose of Baytril, and he has been sterile ever since. But we still have him, and love him no matter what, it's our Duncan....

Here he is..... Starlight, the Rockstar Roo. 1/2 Silkie, 1/2 Mille Fleur D'Uccle. I really love these mixes! Super ecclectic-looking, with vulture hocks, feathered feet, blue skin, 5 toes and a mohawk of tophat feathers. Hes a pretty calm boy, so far.... with a very low pitched, quiet crow! I mean.... Freddie Mercury to a tee, right? Or, my friend said Ziggy Stardust.... i suppose its all the same, really. :)

Silkies, albeit not the sharpest tools in the shed, are such amazing mothers, i am constantly amazed. My Silkie Mama, aka "The Machine", as she will hatch anything, anytime.... is so wonderful. I wanted a Salmon Faverolle, and The Machine just hatched out another batch, tho only 3 out of 9 eggs made it. So i went to the farm store and got a week old S.F. When i got home, The Machine was up and about, showing her babies food, etc. Knowing Mama, i just put the new baby in with her, even tho she was up and about, not asleep like youre supposed to do when introducing a new chick. She pecked the Newbie once or twice, and then i could just see the thought bubble... "well, its a baby, and since i already have 3, might as well just take THIS one too.... and simply snuggled down. The new baby, who had never had a Mama, coming from a feed store, automatically knew what to do, and burrowed in under her...... AND Voila! New mama/baby. GOTTA LOVE A SILKIE MAMA.

Here he is..... Starlight, the Rockstar Roo. 1/2 Silkie, 1/2 Mille Fleur D'Uccle. I really love these mixes! Super ecclectic-looking, with vulture hocks, feathered feet, blue skin, 5 toes and a mohawk of tophat feathers. Hes a pretty calm boy, so far.... with a very low pitched, quiet crow! I mean.... Freddie Mercury to a tee, right? Or, my friend said Ziggy Stardust.... i suppose its all the same, really. :)
What an awesome roo. Very Glam.

Does anyone know about adding Apple Cider Vinegar to water? What are the health advantages? And what is the ratio of ACV per gallon?
About 1 TB to a gallon. I use the organic kind with "the mother." I believe it is supposed to aid with effective absorption of vitamins. It also helps to keep the sliminess from growing on the plastic waterers. Only use ACV in plastic as it is corrosive in metal. Does that help?

It helps a bit, yes. Thanks.... however, i dont use plastic waterers and never will.... but i have a vintage glass one that i could use....

What about for fighting parasites, keeping away mites etc? I heard from one Uber organic guy that ACV will help with worms, and external parasites as well. Anyone know about this?

We made it home ! ! ! Mostly in one piece. We had a pretty good trip. Got rained on pretty bad the first couple days but Saturday turned out beautiful. We were joined by jbear. This was our first trip together. Jen and our DD hit it off well and became wing girlz to the rails. We made it home in one piece. Although I had 2 break downs and it looks like I may be in need of a new transaxle and engine. Jbear's video on FB may explain part of what happened.

Got a bit restless setting in camp waiting for a couple of ya to show up (lol) so took Quincy to the top of Coliseum so he could look for ya off in the distance. Nope nobody coming our way!
I will refrain from posting more but just gotta put the mutt on here. And thanks to jbear for the pics.

Back
Top Bottom