Oregon

I have been trying to get my hands on a silkie for a little while now and still no luck
Hmm...

There were some for sale at the Clackamas County Fair last week...and the PNPA show is at the fairgrounds in Salem the 2nd weekend in October, there will definitely be some for sale there, and Marge will be there, she always brings birds for sale, as well as Sheryl Butler....

Hmm...

There were some for sale at the Clackamas County Fair last week...and the PNPA show is at the fairgrounds in Salem the 2nd weekend in October, there will definitely be some for sale there, and Marge will be there, she always brings birds for sale, as well as Sheryl Butler....
awesome thanks for the info

Hmm...

We went Saturday and there were a couple of roos for sale but didnt see hens. But I am not ready for them yet anyways. Still need to build my isolation/introduction/momma with chicks tractor/coop.

Howdy Oregon Peeps!
Been awhile since I posted, lots of summer work and computer problems have kept me out in the coop instead of online. :) Just an update because you all love hearing about chickens:)
My 15 chicks originally arrived from MPC on April 11. Now they are nice fat pullets, beautiful and well feathered, and I expect eggs soon. Health has been excellent, they free range on 1/3 acre and have an enclosed yard and coop for nighttime and when I am gone. We also have a guard dog. No predator problems so far, thank the Holy Powers. The coop is only 30 feet from my Airstream trailer home, I keep an ear out all night. I'm also home most all day, and the chickens follow me around the farm "helping" and supervising various chores. There are four chickens in the flock that are particularly friendly (including the rooster "Manny") and like to hop up on me for a ride and to schmooze for treats....
I ordered all females, figuring at least ONE would be a rooster, but no such luck. Therefore, I had to import 2 cockerels of a similar age, located here on BYC from member Losobug, who had posted a "looking for a new home" ad. These two E.E. boys (OnRay and Manny) have been magnificent addition to the flock, they are tidbitting the pullets, warning about large airborne birds, courtship waltzing, clumsy mating attempts and crowing with teen-cockerel rusty voices. no real spurs yet, so they can't challenge my daughter's "big" 3-yr old E.E. rooster that lives down the lane and also free ranges up this way with his 4 hens.
I feel blessed that I have had no chicken health problems or predators yet, but I remain vigilant. There are bears, big cats, coons, hawks, etc in the woods i have the dog, some guns, lights, radio and..........
This may be a little "earthy" for some, but one of my anti-predator measures is to "pee the perimeter" with my dog. I figure fresh urine of dominant females is a deterrent to predators. I live deep in the Coast Range, with no neighbors except the BLM and private timber companies, which is why I can have roosters and pee outside.
so here I am waiting for the pullets to turn into hens.....any day now! Eggs! Eggs! eggs!

Lol, all this broody need. So far my two black hatchery silkies WON"T STOP, ugh. Then my blue silkie, 2 of my blue marans, and now I think my EE is thinking about brooding. I've explained to my hens I DO NOT NEED more chicks right now. On that note, really anyone have any leghorn hatching eggs??? I'd consider part trade towards broody silkie, lol.

Lol, all this broody need. So far my two black hatchery silkies WON"T STOP, ugh. Then my blue silkie, 2 of my blue marans, and now I think my EE is thinking about brooding. I've explained to my hens I DO NOT NEED more chicks right now. On that note, really anyone have any leghorn hatching eggs??? I'd consider part trade towards broody silkie, lol.
Good luck,... ugh! another broody...

i have leghorns laying right now and i have the rooster if you want to trade the leghorns for the silkies ill go for it

Back
Top Bottom