Organic method for treating chicken lice?

Just wondering can I use Palmolive instead of dawn? Thoughts anyone?
My Fiancee and I have recently discovered lice on our girls and the poultry protector spray was not working fast enough for us so we tried the bathing yesterday. We personally used store brand dish soap because that is what we had and we saw a ton of them come off them for each bath we gave them. We are going to do this again next weekend and keep recleaning their coop and everything til they are clear of those nasty critters. The only thing that I noticed after bathing that bothered me and I have not seen anyone mention yet, is that after the baths I saw a bunch of the lice just sitting on their feathers or moving around on their wet feathers post baths and while I know we saw plenty come off, it seems there are still plenty that still remained.

Quote: Just regular soap and water probably won't work, but some people use kitten flea shampoo or kitten flea spray. My vet had me try a spot on product called Vectra-3D and it worked very well, but it's expensive.

-Kathy
Well we did do the saltwater bath prior to the dish soap one as well for each. I will try anything that avoids chemicals if possible just because I need it not to affect the eggs since we are selling them and or eating them ourselves and that money is helping my wedding fund.

Well we did do the saltwater bath prior to the dish soap one as well for each. I will try anything that avoids chemicals if possible just because I need it not to affect the eggs since we are selling them and or eating them ourselves and that money is helping my wedding fund.
What are you going to use to treat the inside of the hen house, roosts and nests?
Is your avatar the Appalachian Mtns? If so, a good drive from Suffolk, eh?

Quote: Well we did do the saltwater bath prior to the dish soap one as well for each. I will try anything that avoids chemicals if possible just because I need it not to affect the eggs since we are selling them and or eating them ourselves and that money is helping my wedding fund.
What are you going to use to treat the inside of the hen house, roosts and nests?
Is your avatar the Appalachian Mtns? If so, a good drive from Suffolk, eh?
We have been using Poultry protector spray and dust after scrubbing out coop once a week recently. And yes that is in the appalachian mountains....is that a problem? Both my fiancee and I are Hokies and recently got engaged on that very outlook not far from B-burg. Just because we live in suffolk does not mean I cannot have the Barney's Wall overlook as my avatar.....

What's your problem? I simply asked you a simple question. I like your avatar and love the western part of Virginia, especially the mountains. I have made that 4-1/2 hours drive a few times.

What's your problem? I simply asked you a simple question. I like your avatar and love the western part of Virginia, especially the mountains. I have made that 4-1/2 hours drive a few times.
I think you read too much into that response. I just meant it matter of factly. I was not sure if your original post was just a question. If you read that as hostile that was not my intent, just as an explanation. I was not sure if you were questioning whether it was valid for me to use it or not....

Last edited:
Sulfur dust can help, as can lime, working it fully into the feathers into the skin, making sure you coat any of the egg clusters around the vent area. You could even coat those with NuStock or castor oil to smother and kill them. Dusting the roosts with sulfur or lime may also help, as well as the bedding and nesting materials. If all that doesn't help pymethrin dust or spray may help...it's all natural and safe to use on animals and especially food animals. You can probably order that online but won't find it very easily at garden centers.

Back
Top Bottom