Organic Starter-- Nature's Best or Scratch & Peck?

Oh that's great! They have a website, and if you order more than either 100 or 200 dollars worth, can't remember which it is, you get free shipping; Their shipping fees were quite high, but that would be 150+ pounds of feed, which if stored properly, will stay fresh as long as it takes to go through it. I live in Stanwood WA, about 50 miles north of Seattle, and our local Skagit Farmers Supply carries it. It's 40 lbs. for about $29 in the store, but the scratch n peck is around $35, so I would definitely try to order it online. I'm sure you can find it no matter where in Washington you live.

Oh that's great! They have a website, and if you order more than either 100 or 200 dollars worth, can't remember which it is, you get free shipping; Their shipping fees were quite high, but that would be 150+ pounds of feed, which if stored properly, will stay fresh as long as it takes to go through it. I live in Stanwood WA, about 50 miles north of Seattle, and our local Skagit Farmers Supply carries it. It's 40 lbs. for about $29 in the store, but the scratch n peck is around $35, so I would definitely try to order it online. I'm sure you can find it no matter where in Washington you live.
Good to know! We're near Centralia, about 2 hours south of Seattle. I went to 4 feed stores yesterday, and none of them carried it, but we visit Portland often, so it'd be easy to pick some up if I located a retailer there. This is our first go with chickens, so I have NO CLUE how much feed 10 chickens will eat in say a month's time.

It mostly depends on the breed and if they are free ranged as well. I had a flock of 6 production hens and a large rooster which free ranged several hours each day, and 40 pounds lasted around 2-3 weeks, so it could be 20 or so pounds a week for 10 chickens if they are free ranged, but that's a really rough estimate. If you have trouble finding it, check out the website! Here's a link:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ggcMAA&usg=AFQjCNHp0PQpFsTfZi5uf8RCvrf2fztBiQ

Last edited:
It seems to vary tremendously how much feed they eat. We have 8 hens and a rooster. I bought 100 lbs of feed exactly a month ago and they have eaten maybe a third of that so far. They are heritage breeds, free range all day, and get lots of scraps and treats (most spoiled birds ever. They hear the back door open and all come running.) I'm expecting them to eat more feed after the summer ends and forage is harder to come by.

The rule of thumb from the big feed companies is about 1.5 lbs of feed a week, per chicken. I think they probably base that on commercial egg farms though.

I'm sure that's where that rule comes from, and they probably came up with it as a balanced amount between how much they need to produce eggs on the daily, yet still being cost effective. Most of us small flock owners will leave the feeder full so they have free choice of how much to eat, but not everyone has to do it this way. You cannot emphasize enough how much it varies from breed to individual birds to age, etc. until you actually experience it first hand.

Hi there!

We at Nature's Best Organic Feeds want to thank you for supporting our brand - as a family-owned facility making feed for 70 years, we place value on each and every customer, animal, and concern. We make a premium product that a team of expert nutritionists ensure is made in a Safe Feed/Safe Food facility, Pennsylvania Certified Organic, USDA Organic, and Non-GMO Project Verified. Because of our size, we have the unique ability to make hundreds of different specialty formulas and diets to satisfy the needs of our customers.

Our ingredients do not, under any circumstances, come from China and we test for traits of genetic engineering in both the soybeans and grains. Our feed contains no animal byproducts of any kind including fish meal, which many other feed brands (such as Scratch and Peck) contain. To be certified officially in Pennsylvania, there can be no traces of this. We keep a sample of every single feed that is made and leaves our property, so that we may test in on-site and third-party laboratories the quality of what goes out our door. We routinely pass rigorous audits by our organic certifiers. We scored a 99.9% analysis rating in 2017 by HACCP (HACCP is a management system in which food safety is addressed through the analysis and control of biological, chemical, and physical hazards from raw material production, procurement and handling, to manufacturing, distribution and consumption of the finished product), a rating which is unheard of.

Regarding the soybean - the rumors that feed containing soy is unhealthy, poisonous, and/or cannot be certified organic or be non-gmo verified are 100% false. This is not, according to animal nutrition experts, factual information. Soy has been a staple for protein for many brands for many years, though we do understand the need for certain diets requiring exclusively soy-free ingredients. Soy-free is a preference; one that we’d like to accommodate. Because of this, Nature's Best Organic Feeds will be rolling out soy-free Egg Layer Pellets and soy-free Broiler/Grower feed this winter. This is an exciting time for us, and we hope you'll continue to support the brand as we offer these and additional new products to our customers.

As always, if you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out. We can be reached directly on our Facebook page or by emailing [email protected].

Have a wonderful holiday season!

Last edited:
Hi there!

We at Nature's Best Organic Feeds want to thank you for supporting our brand - as a family-owned facility making feed for 70 years, we place value on each and every customer, animal, and concern. We make a premium product that a team of expert nutritionists ensure is made in a Safe Feed/Safe Food facility, Pennsylvania Certified Organic, USDA Organic, and Non-GMO Project Verified. Because of our size, we have the unique ability to make hundreds of different specialty formulas and diets to satisfy the needs of our customers.

Our ingredients do not, under any circumstances, come from China and we test for traits of genetic engineering in both the soybeans and grains. Our feed contains no animal byproducts of any kind including fish meal, which many other feed brands (such as Scratch and Peck) contain. To be certified officially in Pennsylvania, there can be no traces of this. We keep a sample of every single feed that is made and leaves our property, so that we may test in on-site and third-party laboratories the quality of what goes out our door. We routinely pass rigorous audits by our organic certifiers. We scored a 99.9% analysis rating in 2017 by HACCP (HACCP is a management system in which food safety is addressed through the analysis and control of biological, chemical, and physical hazards from raw material production, procurement and handling, to manufacturing, distribution and consumption of the finished product), a rating which is unheard of.

Regarding the soybean - the rumors that feed containing soy is unhealthy, poisonous, and/or cannot be certified organic or be non-gmo verified are 100% false. This is not, according to animal nutrition experts, factual information. Soy has been a staple for protein for many brands for many years, though we do understand the need for certain diets requiring exclusively soy-free ingredients. Soy-free is a preference; one that we’d like to accommodate. Because of this, Nature's Best Organic Feeds will be rolling out soy-free Egg Layer Pellets and soy-free Broiler/Grower feed this winter. This is an exciting time for us, and we hope you'll continue to support the brand as we offer these and additional new products to our customers.

As always, if you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out. We can be reached directly on our Facebook page or by emailing [email protected].

Have a wonderful holiday season!

Great information, however some of us just don't like ourselves or our animals eating soy. I am curious what you are using to get your protein without using fish or crab meal. If PA won't certify organic with these ingredients, than I guess your competitor in Chester County is certified outside of PA & I assume the others are also. I have mentioned to you prior that I prefer animal protein, but except for a local supplier, I am unable to get feed with animal protein even in conventional feed. I am excited to try your new soy free feed, although it is sometimes a struggle to get your feed fresh at TSC. They don't seem to always rotate their stock properly. My local feed store quit carrying your feed when Purina came out with theirs. Thanks again for the info.

Great information, however some of us just don't like ourselves or our animals eating soy. I am curious what you are using to get your protein without using fish or crab meal. If PA won't certify organic with these ingredients, than I guess your competitor in Chester County is certified outside of PA & I assume the others are also. I have mentioned to you prior that I prefer animal protein, but except for a local supplier, I am unable to get feed with animal protein even in conventional feed. I am excited to try your new soy free feed, although it is sometimes a struggle to get your feed fresh at TSC. They don't seem to always rotate their stock properly. My local feed store quit carrying your feed when Purina came out with theirs. Thanks again for the info.

Hi Cindy,

In our soy-free options, we use canola meal and field peas to supplement the protein when the soy is removed. We pride ourselves on using no antibiotics or animal byproducts in our organic feed.

Please provide us with the store location that is not properly rotating our feed. Thank you!

We hope you have a great day!

Hi Cindy,

In our soy-free options, we use canola meal and field peas to supplement the protein when the soy is removed. We pride ourselves on using no antibiotics or animal byproducts in our organic feed.

Please provide us with the store location that is not properly rotating our feed. Thank you!

We hope you have a great day!
Thanks, not a fan of canola meal.

You might want to give the folks on this list a call and ask if they have a soy free/wheat free chick starter, grower and layer or know someone who does. Fertrell is a certified organic vitamin pack, that IMHO is the best on the market. And given your location there are several options to make the type of feed you're looking for at the desired protein levels.

Back
Top Bottom