Organic way to control/kill nutsedge

Fluffnpuff

Songster
8 Years
Nov 6, 2012
Does anyone know of an organic method to get rid of nutsedge?

At little background info:

For several years, i've managed to grow a 3 sisters garden without using artificial fertilizers or pesticides but last summer, for the 1st time, i had an outbreak of nutsedge. I've never seen any sedge on the property before and i suspect it, or the seeds, came from a store bought bag of manure i foolishly purchased early in the growing season to use on apple trees. What was left of the manure i scattered on the garden.

I've got well water so even if i didn't care about growing organically, i couldn't use stuff like sedgehammer on the property without poisoning my drinking water. I read online that using molasses would rot the tubers, but several applications last summer only seemed to slow the growth. At the end of last summer i planted a cover crop of hairy vetch as it's suppose to reduce weed density.

If or probably when it re-emerges in spring, does any byc gardener have advice on how to control it?

Mulch. It's my answer to just about every thing, except for what to put on my cereal in the morning! You could put down a layer of cardboard or about 10 sheets of newspaper between your rows, then cover the whole garden or problem area with about 6" of mulch. In your case, as you're concerned about weed proliferation, you might want to use straw or leaves. I have no concern in most of my garden regarding weeds, so would choose the cheaper option of mulch hay. I will reserve the weed free stuff for my perennial beds. Any nutsedge that dares to show leaf above the mulch can be quickly pulled out, or have more mulch thrown on top of it. The goal is to keep it from seeing the light of day for about 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom