Ornamental/ Wild Goose questions

Waterfowllady

Songster
5 Years
Nov 3, 2018
California
Hello,
I've been raising birds (ducks, chickens, geese) for about 8 years now and waterfowl are my favorite. I have a domestic flock currently but I've become increasingly interested with ornamental birds. I've looked into some wild or 'ornamental' breeds and am wondering what kind of wild breed goose would be able to tolerate hot CA climate. (over 100 degrees in the summer, 30 degrees and up for winter) I am aware that the birds will most likely not be friendly (although I've heard wild Nene are) I would prefer them to not be overly aggressive. I can definetly tolerate 'nest guarding' and am not scared of a goose trying to attack me, I'd just prefer being able to do maintenance without being attacked every waking second. I've heard that there are several Nene geese in California and am interested in them but I'd like to know someone who has raised wild geese's opinion.

Simplified, what wild goose breeds are not overly aggressive, can tolerate the heat, and dont need a TON of space. I have an acre pasture and am in the process of setting up a 24x72 mare motel but even that isn't big enough for some birds. I would also like to know names/contact info of breeders you know about that sell these birds and what kind of permit I would need to own this specific breed

Thank you so much!!:thumbsup

DISCLAIMER I do not mean that I wish to be keeping illegal geese, because I do not and never plan to. I am looking for breeders with a permit and will not sell my birds. I classify wild breed geese as not selectively bred commercial geese, but those related very closely in appearance and possibly behavior to their wild counterparts, thank you.

Last edited:
@The Phantom is very knowledgeable and has a lot of breeder contacts. She might be able to help you in your search for information or getting you connected with breeders in the area that can give you some tips based on your climate.

I find many of the wild geese to be vert attractive. There are a few members on here that keep them, but Nene, Barnacle, Cape Barren, Bar-headed, and Emperors are some of my favorites. Wild Snow geese migrate through the area every spring. I find the different morphs attractive.

@The Phantom is very knowledgeable and has a lot of breeder contacts. She might be able to help you in your search for information or getting you connected with breeders in the area that can give you some tips based on your climate.

I find many of the wild geese to be vert attractive. There are a few members on here that keep them, but Nene, Barnacle, Cape Barren, Bar-headed, and Emperors are some of my favorites. Wild Snow geese migrate through the area every spring. I find the different morphs attractive.
Geese are given a bad rep but Im a big fan of them and they are very interactive with you in my experience (chatty, maybe not friendly) The wild geese are very pretty, Im just nervous about the heat being too much for many of the cold weather geese. Thank you for the info!

Back
Top Bottom