Orpington Chick-what color is this?? Dun? Brown?

IroquoisEgg

Songster
9 Years
May 30, 2010
Fair Oaks, CA
OKay BYC friends-

What color is this Orpington? I have never seen a brown one before...The pictures show pretty good except the one of his back looks a little darker than it really is-there is no black at all. Please tell me what you think. I got fertile eggs from Ebay of "Assorted Colors. I also have a chick that is silver/lavender and feathering wings out in brown.
59074_punkin_001.jpg

59074_punkin_003.jpg

59074_punkin_006.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like a cross of colors. You would have to ask the seller what they were crossing.

OKay I think you're both right! HIs hens are:Buff, Blue, Black, Splash & Lavender. Roosters are: Buff, Blue, Black & Lavender. Cool! I did get some Lav's and Blues,Buffs and 2 of these cool brown ones. no blacks though-oh well. I will keep this updated as they grow up and we can see what they turn out to be! Beautiful, I'm sure!

Exactly as the others said. It's just a cross. It will mature to be black and golden-brown splotchy.

IroquoisEgg,

I HAVE done the buff over black, as well as buff with blue orps and hatched chicks identical to yours. Below are what they ended up growing to look like.

2 brown/buff and brown/greyish hens

5806_dscf0073.jpg

Black/Buff roo

5806_dscf0120.jpg

Blue/Buff roo

5806_dscf0086.jpg

Orange/Black roo

5806_dscf0092.jpg

Hope this helps.
big_smile.png

Wow! Those are some gorgeous birds Tony! It's funny because the one in the pictures I posted, is the chubbiest chick! Born that way actually, I couldn't believe that a chick that big came out of an egg! Needless to say, I fell in love at first sight
love.gif
I also have some that are lavender with brown faces only...interested in what they will look like too!

IroquoisEgg,

I HAVE done the buff over black, as well as buff with blue orps and hatched chicks identical to yours. Below are what they ended up growing to look like.

2 brown/buff and brown/greyish hens

5806_dscf0073.jpg

Black/Buff roo

5806_dscf0120.jpg

Blue/Buff roo

5806_dscf0086.jpg

Orange/Black roo

5806_dscf0092.jpg

Hope this helps.
big_smile.png
The first 2 roosters you have pictured are actually Chocolate Silver Laced. There is a light chocolate (2nd pic) and a dark chocolate (1st pic). If either of these are crossed with a "mottled" then you get a penciled/partridge pattern, just like the original post.

Back
Top Bottom