Orpington colours

Wappoke,

What percentage of black mottled offspring would you expect from a Black Orp rooster over Jubilee Orp hens? I tried this cross this year and didn't get as many as I thought I would.

Wappoke,

What percentage of black mottled offspring would you expect from a Black Orp rooster over Jubilee Orp hens? I tried this cross this year and didn't get as many as I thought I would.
Depends on if the Black Orp is carrying the gene for mottling. It's recessive, so to get mottled chicks, both parents need at least one copy of the gene to pass on. If the rooster is split, than 50% will be mottled and 50% will be 'split'. If he isn't carrying the gene at all, than none of the chicks will express the mottling. All chicks will be carrying a copy from their mothers, though.

This rooster doesn't show any mottling at all and was out of a Black Mottled rooster and a Black hen. I hatched appx 60 chicks. I ended up with mostly blacks, which I expected. I ended up with about 70% Blacks "a few with red shoulders", 15% Black Mottled, 10% Chocolate, and 5% Chocolate Mottled.

Last edited:
This rooster doesn't show any mottling at all and was out of a Black Mottled rooster and a Black hen. I hatched appx 60 chicks. I ended up with mostly blacks, which I expected. I ended up with about 70% Blacks "a few with red shoulders", 15% Black Mottled, 10% Chocolate, and 5% Chocolate Mottled.
Genes rarely inherit in nice and even percentages. The fact that you got any mottled proves that your rooster is carrying a gene for the mottling. The chocolate ones are the real surprise. The rooster must also be carrying chocolate. He had to have inherited it from his Black Mottled father.

I was shocked when I got some chocolates. I wasn't expecting them at all. I was expecting mostly blacks and maybe a few black mottled. I really just crossed them for fun as my new Jubilee rooster wasn't old enough this spring for breeding. So I threw in the black to see what I got.

The bonus is that chocolate is sexlinked. You can be sure that the chocolate ones are female. Males require two copies to express. Females only need the one copy.
All but one were females. One chocolate mottled was male.

Last edited:
Than one of the Jubilee hens has to be chocolate.
Nope, they are all the good mahogany red. I suppose there could be chocolate behind them somewhere. Two of them were crossed with black mottled two generations back, so they'd be 25% black mottled.

Nope, they are all the good mahogany red. I suppose there could be chocolate behind them somewhere. Two of them were crossed with black mottled two generations back, so they'd be 25% black mottled.
Check them over really well. To get a chocolate male, one of the hens must also have chocolate. It's a modifying gene for black patterning only. And hens can't carry it. Hens always express it. Jubilee are red with black and white flecks. One must have chocolate flecks instead of black.

Back
Top Bottom