Orpington experts, chime in!

chrisbc33

Songster
9 Years
Mar 6, 2010
Gloucester, Va
I purchased a pair of Lavender Orpingtons and would like some advice as this is my first pair of Orps. Do you think this roo is pure orp?
I included a photo of the hen as well. Roo not crowing yet, so still young!!!!
smile.png

Thanks!
Chris

50420_orplavroo4.jpg

50420_orplavhen2.jpg

Right now, the Lavender Orpingtons really aren't considered to be "pure Orp.", as they are still fairly new on the scene and are still in the project stages. Your pair is lovely though! Your roo looks to be a nice size, which I'm judging according to me guessing the age by feathering (they look to be in the 20 wk. range to me) and the feathering on both the pullet and roo looks good. Hope that helps.
smile.png

I'm really not sure how old they are as I purchased them at an exotic auction. I did it on a whim of course! The more I look at them, the more I love them.
He and the hen are really pretty big. The roo (gotta think of a name for him LOL) is a bit smaller then my smallest jersey roo. I have two buff orp hens from a friend and the lav hen is much bigger then those two girls.

I really appreciate the advice.
big_smile.png

Chris

Thank you!!!!! I got them for so cheap I couldn't believe it! I think it was $9.00 each and the crate said "Lavender Orpingtons, unrelated pair"
Makes up for the small forture I've spent on hatching eggs and silkies!

lol.png

Chris

Thats what I thought too! I don't think the crowd there even recognized them for what they were. And you know, auctions go QUICK so theres no time to think!

celebrate.gif

Chris

Back
Top Bottom