Orpington Mixing

twach

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2023
I currently have a Buff and Lavender Orp Hen. Looking to add a Roo either Buff or Lav. Can anyone tell me what color chicks I would get by mixing the two colors? Would love to see some pictures!

Lavender is a recessive gene, so none of the offspring mixing with Buff will be lavender, but all will carry the gene. Instead, it acts like solid Black (the color of the bird underneath the lavender gene), which is dominant over patterns, so you should get mostly black chicks with gold color leaking through.

From my understanding, the Buff variety sometimes also has the dominant white gene, so some of the chicks may be white with gold leakage, too. 🙂

I currently have a Buff and Lavender Orp Hen. Looking to add a Roo either Buff or Lav. Can anyone tell me what color chicks I would get by mixing the two colors? Would love to see some pictures!
Buff Orpington X Lavender will result in Black chicks with tan/brown, or blonde faces.
Adult plumage would be black with Buff, or gold leakage. They'll also be split for lavender, lavender is recessive so it won't show in the first generation.

Lavender is a recessive gene, so none of the offspring mixing with Buff will be lavender, but all will carry the gene. Instead, it acts like solid Black (the color of the bird underneath the lavender gene), which is dominant over patterns, so you should get mostly black chicks with gold color leaking through.

From my understanding, the Buff variety sometimes also has the dominant white gene, so some of the chicks may be white with gold leakage, too. 🙂
Funny you mentioned the Dominant White. None of the Buff Orpington X Australorp crosses I've hatched were ever white.

What is the purpose of dominant white in Buff Orpingtons?

@nicalandia can probably answer with more detail, I've only read about it here and there. I believe it's to mask stray black feathering they may have, such as in the tail or wings. It's likely more prevalent in show stock than in hatchery stock. 🙂
My hatchery stock would occasionally get white, but then molt it out in their second year molt. Not sure if that's dominant white, or just a issue with color.

Back
Top Bottom