Orpington: Stands still all day, No Pen at Night, Not Eating, Away from flock

Chica Lady

Songster
8 Years
Mar 31, 2012
Taylors, SC
I dont know what the problem is. Never seen it before. She stands there all day, same position, doesn't move, lets me pick her up, put her down somewhere and stays there all day. doesnt eat. I could put food in front of her and it will be there all day. empty crop. lighter than other chickens. doesnt move to pen at night. there is some red irritation on top of her rump. when i was trying to move feathers to get a better look, seems like some of them were just popping right out just from lifting the feathers. I dont know what is wrong, please help. TYIA

Sorry your hen isn't well. :(

Please, how old is she? How long has she been like this? How many birds in how much space? What do you feed regularly including treats and supplements? Recent weather? Have you ever wormed? What do her dropping look like? Have you checked for lice/mites or other possible parasites? Are you able to post a pic?

Dehydration is deadly... I would ensure if she isn't drinking that I did drips of water just below the nostrils and she should gobble when they roll around into her beak, every half hour if possible. I would also offer scrambled egg. :fl

She does not sound well, but this could be from a number of different things. Do you have a rooster? A photo of the irritation would help. If you have a young rooster, check her for damage under her wings and on her sides. I am also wondering about depluming mites.
How old is she and what does she normally eat? Is she a layer, and if so, when was her last egg? You already said her crop is empty, but please also feel her breast to see how much muscle has wasted away. You already mentioned her being light, so this may have been going on for some time. Is her abdomen (fluffy area below vent and between legs) bloated with fluid at all? If she's not eating, she may not be pooping much, but do you know what her last poops looked like? Does she smell bad at all? Could she have gotten into something toxic (poisonous plant, something moldy, vehicle fluids, etc.)? Please examine her and report back and we'll try to help. I agree hydration will be key in saving her.

Thank you everyone. I had to run out for about an hour for errands, when I got back, she was already gone. Sorry I didnt respond earlier. After I found her, I got distracted by other chores and such. I will try to answer all your questions, as this thread may help someone else or if it happens again in the future.

She was one of 14 chickens in a mixed flock of roos and hens. They are all between 4 1/2 - 7 1/2 mos old. None of the hens are laying yet. They free range in the yard (and neighbors yard, hahaha) when I am not at work (I work usually 3 days a week). They get fed layer feed in the morning and free range the rest of the day. About every day or 2 they get kitchen scraps. We have had 3 weeks of rain, then about 2 weeks of dry, and now a pop up T storm every couple of days. I have never wormed them. Not much muscle on the breast. Abdomen doesnt seem bloated. I did see one poop yesterday and it was watery. I didnt notice any bad smell coming from her. I dont think she got into anything poisonous as I dont have any chemicals outside. Sorry, not an orpington, but she is a black skinned chicken. The photo below is post mortem. Of course, when she was alive, the irritation was red. Thank you all for your help.

Sick Chicken.jpg

Back
Top Bottom