OT: any vets out there that can help with itchy dog??

newchickenmomma

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Frankford, NJ
hey all, i am hoping there might be a vet or vet tech that can help me. I have 2 pomeranians and 1 is itching real bad, her skin looks like she has dandruff and she has hairloss on most of her back end from the itching. I was wondering if anyone has any clue as to what she could have, and why my other dog doesn't have it. I have forced hot air for heat, which we thought was the problem, but we have had this dog since 99 and we have lived in this house since 97, and this has never happened before. I was watching animal cops and there was a dog with mange, and they said about alopecia and itching, but she has no open wounds, lesions or anything like that. I am at a loss, and am hoping to take care of it without having to go to the vets unless I have to. thanks in advance for your help

Dawn ~NJ~

im guessing here (not being able to see it )and im not a vet,if there are no lesions it very possibly could be an allergy,a flea ,or flea allergy.I have a cat that is allergic to fleas,and all flea killing products except the pro spot stuff.I would try to treat it as a dermatitis(sp?) first. Make sure its not fleas first then try a shampoo thats good for extreme dry skin(dog shampoo) or baby shampoo. Vitamins for dry skin may help.Might be able to find a medicated dog shampoo at pet store. Hair loss around the back end points to dermatitis.But you have to figure out what from,my cat loses hair around his back end when he gets it and his is fleas......hope this helps
Mexi

thanks for the post, I was thinking dry skin too, but like I said this has never happened before and we have had her for 9 yrs and lived here for 9 yrs, I know for a fact it is not fleas, if it was we would have a infestation by now. I guess I will treat it as dry skin. thanks
dawn ~NJ~

As they age allergies do appear tho, so could be something new.It only takes one flea bite to cause all that,it doesnt have to be an infestation...

Is your dog still eating the same food or have you switched recently? I know that some breeds have problems with corn...so that Petco recommends a food with oatmeal instead.
I know that right now my eczema is acting up really badly too. It could be the time of the year.
An oatmeal bath would help and Sulfodene which is great for hotspots. We used to use it on my dog when he gnawed his front paws bloody.

no I said that if it was fleas, we would have a infestation by now, because this has been going on a couple wks. thanks for all the info everyone.

Dawn ~NJ~

I know a good vet
wink.png

You should try to pick up a flea comb from the pet store and try it on your dog. What exactly are the signs of an "infestation"? Dogs that are flea allergic only need to be bit once or twice to become very itchy. Dermatitis localized around the top rump side of a dog is most suspicious for fleas until proven otherwise.

Older pomeranians- if negative for fleas, mites and lice-one should consider checking for hypothryroidism. Also dogs who drink more than normal and have thin skin should be checked for cushings disease. You can search all of these topics on veterinarypartner.com

Last edited:
thank you matt, what I mean by infestation is, all over, in the house, on the other animals, on us etc... I had gotten a kitten from someone last year, did not know if had fleas, and we were fighting a battle with fleas for a couple months, finally got it taken care of. We have not seen anything on her at all or anywhere else. My husband bathed her and did not see anything either, so I am going to say I don't think it is fleas, and I will certainly look up the other things you told me to look up and see what I can find out. thanks so much

Dawn ~NJ~

May want to try a shampoo with some anti yeast/antiseborrhea activity. Try a google search for yeast shampoo dog. Still may be secondary to endocrine problems though. Any way to post pics?

Back
Top Bottom